cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I transfer full size videos using Canon Camera Connect?

joesolari
Apprentice

In January, 2018, I bought a Canon G7X mark II. I noticed that every time I transfer video files from G7X to my Android smartfone or my IPad, using Canon Camera Connect, the video is cropped. Every time.

I set my camera to not resize, but it works only for pictures, not for videos. To get the full videos I am obligated to connect my camera to my computer. But I wish that my small devices receive the full size videos.

I did not find any option for resizing in Camera Connect, only in the G7X.

Those portable devices are so powerful these days, so I would like to use the full size videos in my phone and IPad, not the cropped ones.

Can you help, please.

Thanks in advance.

Eduardo Medeiros

23 REPLIES 23

I got a solution! Finally figured it out.

I don't know if I can link to products on Amazon, but this was the cheapest solution. It's the SD Card Reader for iPhone by SUNTRSI for $10. I'll try the Apple products again and see if they work the same way, but this is way cheaper except you have to take out the sd card.

The trick is, do not use the photos app. The photos app can browse to the Canon Folder and you can copy photos and video there but the video size is 720p. This is because Canon saves a 720p MOV version automatically with your mp4 version so there's no conversion. It transfers the lower resolution instantly. Good for some, bad for others.

The solution is go to Files app in iPhone. Browse to "Untitled" device/folder. Now you can see everything as it is on your PC card reader. Browse to DCIM, select the most recent folder or whichever and you'll see the files loading in. Find your MP4 file and then click the SHARE icon. Choose "Save Video" and magically you have the super large, original 1080p video in your recents album. It will take much, much longer to download (it's about 5x the size) but it's beautiful!!!

Hope this helps someone finally - this is the solution.

I will EDIT below - if I can get either the USB reader or the USB3 reader by Apple to do the same thing. Apple does make a $30 sd card reader as well, so you can get that if you don't like off-brands. But I wanted to post this solution personally before I forget the steps, LOL

EDIT: 

Apple brand USB connector still doesn't work: ERROR THIS USB  DEVICE REQUIRES TOO MUCH POWER

Apple brand USB3 connector works for photo album. Does NOT work for files app. Nothing shows up, no way to browse the sd card and get the MP4 1080P videos. BAD BAD BAD

Apple brand SD Card reader should work (haven't tested) costs $20 more than the one I quoted above.

Have fun guys, hope I could help someone as this was a huge headache.

Thank you !

I can confirm the USB SD card reader method works (if you have phone with USB OTG support) and you can post process the transferred movies in full original resolution (1920x1080x50) on the phone (e.g in Google Photos app). What a difference (compared to 1280x720x25) !

My setup: Canon G7X Mk2, Huawei P10, USB reader AXAGON CRE-SAC.

On the G9x m2 there is an option to enable sending movies to image.cannon under settings / Wireless settings / wifi settings / image sync

egzi
Apprentice

I just found out that I can't import full size movies to my phone. To some posts above I would ask different question. Why would anyone want to download reduced size of anything to their phone?

I want to import originals to my phone on the photoshoot site, so I can share, backup, send to cloud services or whatever else. And it is nobodies business how much time I want to spend on doing the imports. If it takes too much time then I'll consider "buying a computer and usb cable". Nowadays the 720p looks bad even on phones, so the forced restrictions are purely stupid.

The other annoying thing is that import is interrupted when shutter/focus button is touched (at least on the G9X i own) which is really easy to do by accident. The import status is not saved and you have to investigate which images were imported before and the selection of other images has to be done manually. Otherwise it creates duplicates if you use "select all" option.

If I knew about all of this I would consider buying other product.

Announcements