cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G5 LCD display works but doesn’t show photo image

fwrightson
Contributor

I can not figure out how to make my Powershot G5 show either the viewfinder image or the photo just Aiken image. Any suggestions would be appreciated

12 REPLIES 12

fwrightson
Contributor

I'll add that I'm in Replay and that I reformated the card and tried thaking another photo. The view finder image will not display on the LCD nor will will the image display after taking another photo. I even changed the display time time from the default 2 sec to 5 sec. The LCD displays the menus, etc for an image it only has a little blank retancgle.

Greetings,

Is this a new or used camera?  Did it everr work?

Are you formatting the card in the camera?

What is the brand and exact model of the card?  Is it full size or micro with an adapter?

Show us an image of the "rectangle"

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

fwrightson
Contributor
Thank you for your reply. Actually, it was my late brother-in-law’s but he gave it to me before he passed. Yes, it did work (when he had it). I’ve had it for 18 months and just charged it up and tried using it.
I reformatted the memory card in the camera. It says it has 121 MB with zero used (before the reformat, it said 1.2 MB was used). It’s a PQI 128 MB Compacr Flash

@fwrightson wrote:
Thank you for your reply. Actually, it was my late brother-in-law’s but he gave it to me before he passed. Yes, it did work (when he had it). I’ve had it for 18 months and just charged it up and tried using it.
I reformatted the memory card in the camera. It says it has 121 MB with zero used (before the reformat, it said 1.2 MB was used). It’s a PQI 128 MB Compacr Flash

Displaying photos after you take them is an option that can be disabled.  Many people disable it because it is an extra drain on the battery.  I recommend resetting the camera back to factory defaults, so that its configuration is in a known state.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks. I assume the rest to factory settings is on the menus option. I'll have a look and try it. Thanks again.

I received my new flashcard reader today. It appears that the card is properly formated and ok. There are three images on the card (with an image size of 125kb - which I think indicates no real image). I've taken some screenshots of what I see.

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 4.10.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-30 at 4.10.53 PM.png

Does the black screen mean the shutter isn't working? No image because the shutter didn't open?

The G5 was a pretty solid performer in its day. It's still capable of out-shooting a lot of currrent point & shoot models. Plus you can shoot in RAW and it's even got a hotshoe.

But considering the age of the camera I wonder if it might have a problem recognizing and formatting a CF card bigger than maybe 4GB or 8GB? It would be worth tinkering around a bit with it though. They still make a perfectly good "walikg around" camera. Plus they've got that cool tilt-swivel LCD screen. And it's got a more serious look to it than most other P & S models but it's not as intidating as a DSLR.

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there,

If you ppoint the camera at something and take a picture, can you then put your memory card in the computer and see that picture or is the new piture also a black screen?

Announcements