cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G12 with many fine horizontal lines, purple color on image and on screen

Fertographer
Contributor

See the image.

G12 produces this image in many variations intermittently.

Reset not help.

Change of battery not help. Batteries are old but indicate full charge.

Change of settings for camera does not help, but I haven't tried everything, just a few things so far.

Camera seems to function in all other ways.

Any ideas anyone?

Robert.

IMG_3120.JPG

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is typical of a defective memory card.

First step:

Replace that with one of known quality and retest.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I got 3 more SD cards and tried each in turn but the problem, intermittent, persists.

I tried shooting a pic with no SD card and the image came out same with lines and purple color.

Got any ideas for me? I have no idea what to try next.

Robert.

@Fertographer wrote:

I got 3 more SD cards and tried each in turn but the problem, intermittent, persists.

I tried shooting a pic with no SD card and the image came out same with lines and purple color.

Got any ideas for me? I have no idea what to try next.

Robert.

If the issue remains when you change SD cards, then the issue is probably a failing image sensor.  Time for another camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That seems to be your usual response to any camera issue 'time for another camera'.

I want to know what is wrong with my camera (and all those other G12's out there doing the same thing) as I think this is a Canon manufacturing issue.

Possible causes:

1. Low-grade products used in manufacturing.

If the image sensor were bad, then a good image would not appear on the screen, Mr Wadizzle. A purple image only appears in memory and when recalled to the screen from memory it shows as purple.

We need people here who know the innards of the electronics of cameras, not guessers.

@Fertographer wrote:

That seems to be your usual response to any camera issue 'time for another camera'.

I want to know what is wrong with my camera (and all those other G12's out there doing the same thing) as I think this is a Canon manufacturing issue.

Possible causes:

1. Low-grade products used in manufacturing.

If the image sensor were bad, then a good image would not appear on the screen, Mr Wadizzle. A purple image only appears in memory and when recalled to the screen from memory it shows as purple.

We need people here who know the innards of the electronics of cameras, not guessers.

Hello!

You will not find detailed internal specifications listed on any public forum. The PowerShot G12 is no longer in service life as of 2017. This means Canon USA no longer has parts to repair this camera, as it's nearly 11 years old at the writing of this post. If your camera is malfunctioning, and you've followed the troubleshooting mentioned in the other threads, then we'd recommend taking advantage of the Canon Upgrade Program. You can get details about the Canon Upgrade Program by reaching out to our sales team Monday through Saturday from 9am to 9pm (ET) at 1-866-443-8002.

If you're outside of the USA, please reach out to Canon in your country or region for assistance, as the Canon Community Forums are hosted and moderated by Canon USA and only support products sold and used within the United States. You can find your support options by clicking HERE.

Why didn't you just say 'time for a new camera"? So much easier.

I want to know what is happening inside the camera to cause this problem which a LOT of G12 users have experienced. It does seem to me that this is a manufacturing issue.

You're welcome to reach out to support so they can go over it with you, however, our facility at Canon USA cannot repair your camera.

Rest assured, however, hostility on the forum is cause for being banned.[See the Fourm Guidelines HERE.] Consider this your first and last warning.

You've been terse toward everyone who's offered you a solution you've not been happy with. Contact support or sales. Those are your options.

Have a good day.

Announcements