cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filters and filter adapter for Powershot SX70 SH

Bojanen
Contributor

OK I am a brand new Canon owner 😁!!

I just got a new Powershot SX70 SH four days ago.

I have been using many types of cameras for years, but never a Canon. I am doing a lot of reading learning how to use this new high tech piece of equipment. However I am stuck on one of the simplest things: how to put a filter on the lens (UV just to start). The camera doesn't show anywhere the lens diameter so I have no idea what to purchase. I am reading that I need a filter adapter and then I'll be able to screw on a 67 mm filter. But why 67mm? This lens is at best 49mm wide.!! Can anyone help me explaining what is needed?

My goal is to be able to use various filters, a lens hood and also to put on a (I guess with a different size) lens cap.

Thank you.

Bojanen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Most likely because of potential vignetting at wide angle setting. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The lens focal length and the lens diameter are different. 

23BAF6F5-3696-46CD-85A5-D1296E985209.jpeg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks John.

I cannot understand the photographic benefits for such a difference. For sure they sell more filters and adapters!

"But why a 67mm filter adapter where the camera lens is at best 49mm in diameter?"

You are confusing the focal length of the lens, which is an optical property, and the diameter of the lens housing, which is a physical property.

I have an 11-24mm zoom lens. If I wanted to use a filter on it the filter mount would use a 186mm filter.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks John.

I am familiar with the optical properties and the physical properties of the lenses.

This is where I am stuck: the physical diameter of the inner ring of the lens is 49mm. And I can see that there is a thread inside (where I would assume I could screw in a 49mm UV filter). Instead Canon wants me to install an adapter mounted on the outer ring of the lens and then use a 67mm UV filter. In the attached picture you can see the threads inside the inner ring of the lens.  I'll try to do some research on the Canon site...... Thank you very much

Canon thread on inner ringCanon thread on inner ring

Most likely because of potential vignetting at wide angle setting. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I think that's exactly what it is.

It makes total sense. Thank you so much for your help and your patience with me!!!            Cheers

Zachariah
Contributor

@MyAARPMedicare wrote:

OK I am a brand new Canon owner 😁!!

I just got a new Powershot SX70 SH four days ago.

I have been using many types of cameras for years, but never a Canon. I am doing a lot of reading learning how to use this new high tech piece of equipment. However I am stuck on one of the simplest things: how to put a filter on the lens (UV just to start). The camera doesn't show anywhere the lens diameter so I have no idea what to purchase. I am reading that I need a filter adapter and then I'll be able to screw on a 67 mm filter. But why 67mm? This lens is at best 49mm wide.!! Can anyone help me explaining what is needed?

My goal is to be able to use various filters, a lens hood and also to put on a (I guess with a different size) lens cap.

Thank you.

Bojanen

Make sure the camera is off.

Align the notches on the camera and the filter adapter and turn the adapter in the direction of the arrow until locked.
To remove the filter adapter, turn it in the opposite direction.

Thanks Zachariah.

But why a 67mm filter adapter where the camera lens is at best 49mm in diameter?

Announcements