cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning LCD screen of my new Canon Powershot A4000 IS camera.

Snapdragon4
Apprentice

How do I safely clean the LCD screen of my new Canon Powershot A4000 IS camera? It appears that this model does not have an LCD intended for touch such as the A3400 IS. Someone at either the store from which it was purchased, or a factory worker, left a few skin oil fingerprint smudge marks on it. How can I determine if such touching has adversely affected the screen? If there's no reason to fuss with it, and no harm in leaving fingerprints on it, perhaps it would be better to just leave it alone. Then again the presence of such oil might affect any coating on the LCD screen. Also, if I want to purchase some suitable plastic protective film to place over it to prevent future scratches, (I can't see the existence of any scratches as of now), it seems that it might be a good idea to clean it up first. But I could be wrong. I'm a new user, and I looked all over the place for guidance on this issue, both online and in the manual, but I could not find anything relevant other than the admonishment that for general camera cleaning purposes one should steer clear from the use of any cleaners containing organic solvents. I viewed one suggestion for another product to use a drop or two of water on a soft lense cloth, but I don't know if this is reasonable in my situation with my particular product. Any knowledgeable and appropriately correct reasonable response offering guidance on this subject would be very much greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

fyigmo63
Enthusiast

Wipe your screen with a dry, soft cloth, and never use any kind of solvent, rubbing alcohol, etc.  Best thing is to use a cloth for cleaning eyeglasses and/or photographic lenses.  IMO, you could use a very small amount of water to help get rid of fingerprints, but ultimately I'd still opt for a soft, dry cloth and just rub slightly harder (but not too hard, use your better judgment) to remove fingerprints.  I've used this technique for many years with no issues.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

fyigmo63
Enthusiast

Wipe your screen with a dry, soft cloth, and never use any kind of solvent, rubbing alcohol, etc.  Best thing is to use a cloth for cleaning eyeglasses and/or photographic lenses.  IMO, you could use a very small amount of water to help get rid of fingerprints, but ultimately I'd still opt for a soft, dry cloth and just rub slightly harder (but not too hard, use your better judgment) to remove fingerprints.  I've used this technique for many years with no issues.

Many thanks! I followed your suggestion using a dry cleaning cloth for eyeglasses and the lightest of pressure... no more smudges, and now like brand new!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements