cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant update firmware on G7 X Mark III

faymar
Contributor

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I´m having problems updating the G7X Mark III Firmware. I´ve never done a firmware update on this particular camera, so it´s running on Ver 1.0.1 .

I downloaded the firmware, extracted the file, copied it to the root on a freshly formatted SD card (did the formatting on the camera itself). The camera is set on P mode, as suggested in the updating procedure. I can see just fine the firmware menu, on the fifth Settings tab.

Menu shows up fine.Menu shows up fine.Everything ok here to.Everything ok here to.The upgrade program loads ok.The upgrade program loads ok.I can´t click OK.I can´t click OK.

When I click on the firmware version, it opens up the prompt asking me if I want to update firmware. Clicked OK.

Then I´m asked to select the firmware, which can be seen there just fine as a .FIR file. But, and here´s the fun part, there´s no OK button. Just the Cancel one. So I can´t move past this point. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I´ve also tried a couple other firmware versions (it could be incremental), but the problem is always the same.

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Are you using the dial by pressing at 3 o’clock position to move the highlight to OK?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Sure did. But the Ok button seems to be unselectable.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

what John said... 📸...  then press "set" to execute....

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

In the second image you provided, how did you move the selection from the Cancel button to the OK button? Are you saying that on the final confirmation screen, that moving the selection in the same way does not work?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Exactly. Also You can notice that in the second imagen both Cancel and Ok options have the same color, but in the last picture the Ok option appears in a shade of grey. It's impossible to navigate to that button and click it. I can navigate the menus just fine.

Long shots here; what happens if you put the camera in Manual (M) mode?

Before you copied the firmware to the SD card, did you format that card in the camera? Or did you format using a computer?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I've tried on every manual mode the camera has, several times. Including M and P.

The SD was formatted on the camera 📸. It's so weird.

Today I'm trying to format that card on my PC and see what happens.

Also going to try to change the extension from .FIR to .fir . Don't know what else to do.

Give Canon support a call at 1-800-OK-CANON.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Agree it might be time to call Canon. 

You don't have the Camera connected to anything Wired or Wirelessly, correct?

Also, is your battery Canon brand or 3rd party? (try Canon brand if not)  It should be fully charged.

File types are not case sensitive, so nothing will change by you changing .FIR to .fir

FW is also not incremental (unless a minimum version specifically stated) I have never seen this with cameras of recent manufacture.  FW is all inclusive, so a newer version always includes all previous changes.  You can always go forward, but not back (attempting a downgrade is not advisable).  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements