cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect PowerShot SX530 HS to MacBook

wedding4202018
Apprentice

My canon camera will not connect to my macbook.. I've tried through wifi or even the USB (which I would prefer) I've even updated my mac system to the newest one today
For some reason it just doesnt even recognize it

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Cameras that support WiFi work in an either/or but not "both" ... in that if WiFi is enabled, then USB is disabled.  To use USB you must disable WiFi.

When using a USB cable, make sure it actually is a USB data cable and not a "charging" cable.  Some USB cables only have the power-pins connected ... not the data pins.  The safest way to be sure is to use the factory-supplied cable.   While on this topic... make sure the cable is not worn or damaged.

On the Mac (or any computer really) ... make sure there are no other applications running that would use the camera.  They can intercept the camera when you connect it... making it not appear to any other application.

There are several ways to determine if the mac itself sees the connected camera.  

One method is to launch the "System Information" utility (it is in your "Applications" -> "Utilities" folder) and check the "USB" category on the left side.  It should list all the USB devices it sees connected to the computer (It ONLY scans for devices when you launch it.  If you connect the camera *after* the System Information utility is running you wont see it in the device list.  You can select "File" -> "Refresh Information" (⌘R) and that will force it to rescan the list of attached devices.

Another method is to launch "Image Capture" utility (also in "Applications" -> "Utilities" folder).  If any cameras are connect and if NO OTHER software is running that uses a camera (if something like "Photos" is running, make sure you Quit first) then you'll see a tiny triangle in the lower left corner of "Image Capture".  Click the triangle and it will open the list of devices and as a bonus... you get a menu asking what application you want the mac to launch if that device is connected.  I set my mac to not launch anything (I use so many different programs that I usually want to manually launch the software rather than have it auto-launch something.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What camera?

Did you turn off Wifi before you tried USB?

Usually it just works.

no i just turned off the wifi and it still doesnt work

i have the powershot SX530 HS

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Cameras that support WiFi work in an either/or but not "both" ... in that if WiFi is enabled, then USB is disabled.  To use USB you must disable WiFi.

When using a USB cable, make sure it actually is a USB data cable and not a "charging" cable.  Some USB cables only have the power-pins connected ... not the data pins.  The safest way to be sure is to use the factory-supplied cable.   While on this topic... make sure the cable is not worn or damaged.

On the Mac (or any computer really) ... make sure there are no other applications running that would use the camera.  They can intercept the camera when you connect it... making it not appear to any other application.

There are several ways to determine if the mac itself sees the connected camera.  

One method is to launch the "System Information" utility (it is in your "Applications" -> "Utilities" folder) and check the "USB" category on the left side.  It should list all the USB devices it sees connected to the computer (It ONLY scans for devices when you launch it.  If you connect the camera *after* the System Information utility is running you wont see it in the device list.  You can select "File" -> "Refresh Information" (⌘R) and that will force it to rescan the list of attached devices.

Another method is to launch "Image Capture" utility (also in "Applications" -> "Utilities" folder).  If any cameras are connect and if NO OTHER software is running that uses a camera (if something like "Photos" is running, make sure you Quit first) then you'll see a tiny triangle in the lower left corner of "Image Capture".  Click the triangle and it will open the list of devices and as a bonus... you get a menu asking what application you want the mac to launch if that device is connected.  I set my mac to not launch anything (I use so many different programs that I usually want to manually launch the software rather than have it auto-launch something.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

I do not think PowerShots come with a USB cable, and neither do other manufacturers in this market segment.  Including a USB cable adds to much cost to the camera package.  

Besides, most people who buy these types of cameras already own an appropriate cable from another device that they own.  They just need to make sure their cable is a USB data cable, and not a USB charging cable.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi
I had to replace my Canon interface cable. I now have a new MacBook Air with an external adapter for USB ports. I can now see the Canon Camera connection in the System Information but no little triangle on the bottom left and the device does not open or show in the left bar of the Finder. What now?

That you ...My issue is resolved using the information from you

wedding4202018
Apprentice
It ended up that I needed a different cord that worked with the camera instead of a charging cable
Announcements