cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon sx530 shuts off immediately after turning on

Savemycanon
Contributor
my PowerShot sx530 it turns of right after it turns on, I recharged the battery and that didn’t help. It was working fine for a year then in Malaysia while on travel just spontaneously decided to stop working one day and turned off. Now it only powers on for a millisecond before shutting down. I checked the lense to see if there was dirt in the ridges and that didn’t solve it. Maybe a fresh battery but part of me thinks it’s just defective now. Has anyone solved this problem?
11 REPLIES 11

gchu
Apprentice

Hi, How was this resolved?  I am having this same issue.  Tried 2 different fully charged canon batteries, new sd card, no sd card. pushing on the battery door, etc...  The screen does not light up, menu does not appear, just a blinking green light then shuts down.  Missed out on some fantastic photo ops. 

John_Q
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Savemycanon,

Make sure that the memory card/battery cover is fully closed and not loose. Dirty battery terminals reduce battery performance. Try cleaning the terminals with a cotton swab and reinserting the battery pack a few times. Battery performance decreases at low temperatures. Try warming the battery pack a little by putting it in your pocket, for example, ensuring that the terminals do not touch any metal objects. If these measures do not help and the battery pack still runs out of power soon after charging, it has reached the end of its life. Purchase a new battery pack. If you have tried a different battery already, then the camera needs to be serviced. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements