cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I copy the memory card files back on my re-fomated card?

Apav
Contributor

I followed the instructions to reformat my memory card.  I had the "invalid .jpeg" message on my camera screen.  I first copied all camera files on the card to my desktop.  I re-formated the card.  The movie files now play.  Can I copy the original camera files back to the memory card?  Nothing has been renamed or otherwise changed.

25 REPLIES 25

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you only copied the images and not the folder I don't think it will work. The camera has a .ctg file that it needs but isn't downloaded. If you copied the entire folder it should work. By "work" I mean you will be able to view files on camera. Just copying the images is no problem.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I copied the entire folders (two of them), not the individual pictures.  Thank you for the information!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
OK. Good. Just copy the two folders back. Be sure to overwrite and not merge.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Just had a problem.  I had some new photos on the camera, so I reformatted again.  Then copied the folders from computer onto the card.  Just looked at camera display, got "incompatible jpeg" again.  Any suggestions?

I have to ask, why? If the images are on the computer, just go forward from here and don't bother to try to get them back on the card. If that is your backup, you need to rethink things.

I keep copies on my laptop computer.  For a while after taking photos, I like to share with others using my camera.  Then I delete them from my camera. 

Just what my neighbor does.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

It almost sounds as if the files have been modified in some subtle way after they were copied to the computer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yeah, Canon warns that not all jpegs are viewable.

Announcements