cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brown vignette or film type look over photos on export - G7X Mark II

jjbrookspsych1
Contributor

Hi I have a canon g7x mark ii. When I take photos on my camera they look nice and clear but when I export them to my iPhone or my MacBook the quality changes. I  It’s like a brown looking vignette or sone type of  Film look over the photos. I take the photos in the P mode and send them to my computer by using a connector. I’m not sure what to do. 

12 REPLIES 12

Peter
Authority
Authority

Then I understand. You took a picture in raw format and are watching the embedded preview (Canon's JPEG with its own tonecurve) in camera. Then you export it with something else that is not Canon and you get not the same tonecurve.

Solution: If you want Canon's tonecurve, use Digital Photo Professional 4 or Canon Digital Photo Professional Express.

Thank you ! 

amfoto1
Authority

The image below appears to be shot under some pretty tricky lighting... There's a mix of on-camera flash and sunlight coming through the windows. The best you can do in a situation like this is set a custom white balance. The problem is, as soon as you move and are shooting from a different position the mix of the lighting will change and so you'd need to redo the custom white balance. And even if you do set a custom white balance, one part of the scene or another might still be "off", as the mix of light is different.... more or less flash vs window sunlight ratio depending upon distances from each of them.

54964558-400C-4F0F-9036-8956DB6E46F7_edit.jpg

I simply took the image into Photoshop and adjusted the color balance. Now, I didn't see the original scene and can only guess if this is correct. It's always open to a bit of interpretation.

But I do use a calibrated computer monitor under controlled, consistent lighting conditions, to be able to make image adjustments as accurately as possible. It's just much harder to do so with someone else's image. 

Your camera's built-in monitor and your phone are not calibrated for color rendition.

Your Macbook is probably the most trustworthy, but still subject to ambient light variations. Many computer monitors and laptop screens are too bright for accurate photo adjustment. That causes us to adjust out images too dark and not realize it until we make a print or view them on a properly calibrated monitor. it's the same with how any monitor renders colors.

There are calibration devices like Calibrite ColorChecker or the Datacolor Spyder I use. These are first used to set an accurate/consistent brightness, then a series of color tests are run and evaluated to create a "profile" that's used to adjust how the monitor displays colors, making them as accurate as possible. This calibration process needs to be repeated periodically, because monitors lose brightness and shift color rendition over time. I calibrate mine every month or two. Some people do it more often.

But not all monitors can be calibrated. The little display on the back of a camera and your phone cannot. Your Macbook may or may not be possible to calibrate (Apple screens are pretty good without it). There are also some self-calibrating screens... but they're quite expensive.

Plus the color you see on the screen is significantly influenced by the light around you. For example if you are outside in bright sunlight any screen you look at will seem dimmer than it does viewing it in a somewhat darkened room. Sunlight is a different "color", too... than indoor shade. Light bulbs and flash are each different colors, too.

Some people who prefer a laptop for portability will set up a work station with an external monitor that can be calibrated, where they do their final image editing. That way they can take the laptop with them and get rapid feedback, while still being able to work the images to a higher level later when they're back in their home or office.

All this is probably more than you wanted to know. 😁 But it's important background for why things look the way they do on different screens and what you might be able to do about it. You could get some image editing software to make adjustments, but will only be able to do a limited job of adjusting images on a laptop screen and/or without a calibrated monitor.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

Announcements