cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with canon mx870 printer in Word insists on using inkjet Hagaki media type

randyshupp
Apprentice
  1. My MX870  insists on using inkjet Hagaki media type in Word and printing with standard quality, no matter how many times I change it back to plain paper and fast quality.  I have tried everyhting I can think of short uninstalling and reinstalling the printer software.  I have chnaged documents, closed and reopened word, change printer setting in Control Panel (Windows 7), powering off and restarting the printer, restarting my laptop, etc.

Even more annoying is that in Word my cursor now is a constantly blinking hourglass which has slowed down Word's speed.

4 REPLIES 4

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

Please try the following adjustment to see if we can resolve your issue:

1.  Close all programs that are open.

2.  Click Start and open the Control Panel.

3.  Open Printers or Devices and Printers.

4.  Right-click the MX870 and choose Preferences or Printing Preferences.

5.  In the Main tab, click the 'Defaults' button at the bottom.

6.  In the Page Setup tab, click the 'Defaults' button at the bottom.

7.  Click Apply and OK.

Once this has been done, open your document and try printing again. 

If additional assistance is needed, feel free to call us at 1-800-OKCANON.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I'm having the same problem - and following the steps described does not fix the problem. Whenever I print I get "Ink Jet Hagaki" as the Media Type and "Hagaki 100x148mm" as the Printer Paper Size. Clicking on Defaults does set it properly for the moment but then hitting OK and then going back in to the Printer Properties shows that it didn't take. Any additional suggestions on how to fix this? Having my pages printed on my photo paper each time I forget to change the properties is getting frustrating (and expensive!)

Hello.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers may resolve this issue.  Please perform the following:

1.  Open the Control Panel from your Desktop or Start Menu.

2.  Open Programs and Features.

3.  Uninstall the MX870/MP Drivers and the Canon IJ Network Tool if it is listed.

4.  Close all windows that are open.

Once this has been done, visit this link to download and reinstall the MX870 MP Drivers from our website.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This problem occurred for me this weekend. It had two symptoms:

• Hagaki set as Media type & paper type (& could not be reset back to 'Plain paper'/A4)
  • in MS Word, after selecting to print (first time since rebooted) the cursor would continuously flash & splwow64.exe (Print Spooler on Win 64) was continuously using CPU

Fix:

• go to 'Control Panel' -> 'Devices and Printers'
  • remove the printer (separately remove any printer identified as MX870)
  • add new printer

After this the defaults for paper type were restored to Plain Paper/A4 & curstor did not continuously flash after printing a document.

Announcements