cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

print request is being diverted to other printer or "xps document writer"

zoocrewphoto
Contributor

I am only having this problem with two printers, both canon model ip6000D printers. I have never had this problem with the 20+ other canon printers I have used.

If I want to print something, and the ip6000D is selected, it will either print to the MP610 (if it is on), or it goes to the xps document writer. Any idea why it is doing this? I cannot get either of these two printers to actually print something.

I thought it was due to not being installed correctly, but I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, and it is always recognized and the computer says it is installed correctly. I have never had a print request go to the wrong printer when I clearly selected the printer I wanted it to go to.

5 REPLIES 5

Crista
Whiz

Hi zoocrewphoto!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know what operating system (Windows Vista/7/8 or Mac OS 10.X) you are using. That way, community will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your product.

If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team.

I am using windows vista. I have emailed back and forth with Canon Tech support. No help. I have already done everything they suggested. I doubt this is the first time this problem has occurred, so somebody must have solved it sometime.

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi zoocrewphoto,

Please make sure that the port is selected correctly for your PIXMA iP6000D to print to.  To do this, please follow these steps:

1.  Click on Start and then Control Panel.

2.  Click on Printers.

3.  Right click the PIXMA iP6000D and left click on Properties.

4.  Click on the Ports tab.

5.  In this list, make sure that the USB port listing the PIXMA IP6000D is selected.

6.  Click Apply and then OK.

Once set, please attempt to print.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have the box check marked for usb virtual printer port for usb Canon Inkjet PIXMA ip6000D .

When I try to print something in one program, it shows the printer in the list in the printers, but won't let me choose the printer. In another program, it lets me select the printer and says USB004, but nothing happens. And I still can't click on properties to get anything in the print window.

In yet another program, I get this error message, "Could not complete the print command because the selected printer driver could not be found. Please select a printer from the control panel and try again. I have this printer currently selected as the default printer. It has ben installed and uninstalled and reinstalled. Each time, windows accepts it and says it was installed successfully.

The computer knows the printer is there and where it is. But none of the programs will use the printer.

I am so perplexed by this problem. I have owned more than 20 Canon printers, and none of them had ever had this problem. I have even had 3 of the same model doing print jobs at the same time. Yet I can't get either of the two ip1600Ds to communicate with the computer. If I don't have it solved within two weeks, I will try them on my sister's computer. If they work, she can have them. If not, I will pull the ink tanks and trash them. I can't ethically sell them as working when I can't get them working, and I sure don't plan to keep printers that don't work. I have already wasted about 10 hours in 3 weeks trying to get them working.

Update.

I have since tried to install an mp560. It says it was installed successfuly, but does the same thing. The only printer I can use is one that was installed back in February when I replaced the hard drive. I have tested these printers on another computer, and they work fine.

So, the problem is something within my laptop.

I don't know if there is any chance these are related, but I have two other recurring problems with my laptop that have been going on for the past few months. One is mozilla firefox. It slows down and stops playing video, so I have to reset it and reinstall flash. The other problem is that I cannot install itunes properly, and have had to uninstall and reinstall multiples times. On one occasion, uninstalling it took out my CD burner, but  that has been fixed.

Is there any chance that one of these issues is related to the printers not working properly even though they seem to be installed just fine?

In a couple weeks, I can try some of my older printers that I haven't attempted to use since replacing the hard drive. But it seems like something has happened in the past 4 months that has now limited me to the one printer and nothing new.  I do a LOT of printing projects and being down to one printer is NOT a good feeling. I can't afford to buy a new computer, so I really need to solve this problem.

Announcements