cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

old i960 printer

lowellgray
Apprentice

Hello. I have a Canon I960 printer that I have been using for many years running windows xp thru 8.1 with no problems. I had to close my office so i moved it to my home office running windows 10. The printer while on 8.1 was not used for over a year and went thru very cold and possible freezing conditions. When i connected it to windows 10 I got the five flashing yellow lights. I went on eBay and purchased a print head but with all new ink nothing is printed. I think I have the original cd but when i tried to use it i got message that OS does not support it so I got the driver from Canon support for windows 7. Any thoughts or should i junk the printer?

2 REPLIES 2

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi lowellgray,

Because replacing the printhead did not clear the error, your i960 would require service.

You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program.  This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system.  This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

To help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free standard shipping (if the order is completed by 12:30PM ET).  If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

hVYTOYS
Contributor

windows 10 has compatibility mode just like every version since win 7 ultimate.  you can install it using this in compatiblity mode for windows xp.

the problem with your printer is the year plus of no useage.  inkjets dry up when not being used at least a few times a month.  you let yours sit for a year.  and the fact that you had used it for a long time says that there is a lot of waste ink in the printer already.  there are several issues possible.  some simply mechanical in nature, such as the wipers on the rt hand side that roll forward and back run on a track that the glue could have congealed on and simply be not allowing the carriage to physically roll back and forth by gumming up your wheels,

or if the printer was not stored upright, ink can flow from the waste ink pads in the bottom of the printer up through the printer itself and onto the boards, etc..  and ruin it. 

you can have ink on the part where your printhead goes on the contacts in the carriage even and this could cause a bad contact between the printhead and the printer.  some of the pins can be bent.  

the printer can even be at the end of it's service life,  (doubtfull)

most of these can be cleaned up with the qtip and scraper and windex, and the printhead can be soaked in hot windex in the ultrasonic to unplug it (a bowl of hot windex on the washer or dryer will also serve as a ultrasonic cleaner..)

so i'd suggest you just try cleaning it up first.  looking at a service manual will show you hot to strip it down a bit and get alot easier access to the area on the right where the ink will be gumming it up for you.  with canons usually just a matter of a couple of tabs and one or two screws at most.

good luck

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements