cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new Canon Pixma MG2220 printer - install problems on Windows XP

JohnnyBob
Contributor

I bought a new Pixma MG2220 printer and received it 2 days ago. I followed the instructions and installed it from the provided CD on my 10 year old Compaq S4020WM desktop computer upgraded with 1GB RAM and 1TB hard drive running Windows XP SP3.

The CD installation took a very long time to complete (maybe an hour or so) and things did not work right. In particular the My Image Garden software was very slow and sluggish to respond. So I downloaded and installed the latest drivers and software from the Canon website on top of the existing installation, which did not help. The My Image Garden software began crashing completely with an error message about a bad .dll file. After talking to Canon tech support on the telephone, the support tech admitted that this software CD was probably not compatible with my old XP computer. The My Image Garden software uses like 500MB RAM which is too much resources for my machine. So the rep had me uninstall My Image Garden.

At that point I decided to uninstall everything and start over from scratch because something was obviously not right. For example, the Canon MP drivers were using 755 MB RAM, which seemed much too large. Obviously things had not installed properly from the setup CD, in general. The date on the setup CD was 2011, so apparently it was 2 years old, and long out of date!?

So I uninstalled everything except the Canon registration and onscreen user manual. I also kept Windows Adobe RGB 1998 because I didn't see any way to uninstall it. I also uninstalled .NET 4 which the setup CD had said was necessary, as well as Microsoft XPS EP which My Image Garden had also told me was needed. Then I cleaned up my computer as well as possible with help of Revouninstaller and Ccleaner, which was necessary because things were very messy with many uninstalled remnants and incorrect registry entries. I feel lucky to have survived those tasks without having to reinstall my op system. It wasn't easy.

Then I installed the following 2 modules (only) downloaded from the Canon website:

MG2200 series MP Drivers Ver. 1.01 (Windows 8/8...         01/31/13     14.07 MB
File Name: mp68-win-mg2200-1_01-ejs.exe
This file is a driver for Canon IJ multifunction printers. You can install the following items of the software: MP Drivers: The driver for Canon IJ multifunction printer. IJ Scan Utility: The software that allows you to easily scan photos, documents, etc.

*My Printer Ver. 3.1.0 (Windows 8/8 x64/7/7 x64/...         01/07/13     5.12 MB
File Name: mypr-win-3_1_0-ea11_2.exe
This file allows you to easily change the settings such as the paper source settings and provides you with information on how to solve problems such as ink smudging.

I believe that's everything required to access all of the print, copy, and scan operations of this MG2220 printer. Based on my current understanding, I would classify everything else as optional. I use free Irfanview for editing and manipulation of images, which seems a satisfactory substitute for the other software.

I did not reinstall .NET 4 or Microsoft XPS EP, because apparently they're only required if you install the My Image Garden and/or Quick Menu modules. I also did not reinstall the Easy-WebPrint EX module which apparently only applies to printing with the Internet Explorer browser, while I primarily use Firefox, Chrome, or Opera browsers. And of course I did not reinstall My Image Garden nor the Quick Menu, which were so problematical originally.

On the bright side, the Canon MP drivers appeared to install correctly this time, using only 35 MB RAM (vs 755 MB previously). Also the Canon IJ Scan utility was reinstalled automatically as a part of that driver installation process. Those items have their own shortcuts. I found it useful to make one additional shortcut via Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes > "Canon MG2220 series printer", to allow easy access to all of the internal printer settings and variables. Like I said, I believe this is all that's required, in addition to some image manipulation software such as Irfanview. I deal mostly with documents and never print photos nor use cameras. Those who have large photo collections and/or cameras may need something like My Image Garden or Easy-PhotoPrint EX.

I previously used Lexmark printers for the prior 10+ years, where everything is controlled by software from the computer. I never had to use the buttons on the printer. That's obviously different with this Canon printer, which will take some getting used to.

I'm disappointed that there's apparently no way to enlarge or reduce the % copy size with this model. Is there? I also don't find any setting for lighter/darker when making copies. Is there? There are apparently no other enhancements or filters available when copying. Are there? Similarly, scanning seems remarkably unversatile with this model and I can't find any way to set a scan for ligher/darker or apply various enhancements/filters. Are there?

The printing seems OK, but I must still decide whether the very limited copy and scan options will be sufficient to my needs. I'm not sure yet. I might take it back for a refund and get something better, if I knew what was better. That's another research project. Suggestions?

Thanks for any feedback.

14 REPLIES 14

I would be very interested to hear from someone who actually owns and uses a MG2120. Do you have one operational, or have you had one in the past?

I downloaded and installed the MG2120 manual and compared it to the MG2220 manual. There's no difference in the Copier functions between those models that I can see. It appears to me that neither model can do a 25%-400% reduction/enlargement when Copying...

jvaz102371
Apprentice

brought a printer for my girl but cant install because it doesnt have for cd.

@JohnnyBob wrote:

I bought a new Pixma MG2220 printer and received it 2 days ago. I followed the instructions and installed it from the provided CD on my 10 year old Compaq S4020WM desktop computer upgraded with 1GB RAM and 1TB hard drive running Windows XP SP3.

The CD installation took a very long time to complete (maybe an hour or so) and things did not work right. In particular the My Image Garden software was very slow and sluggish to respond. So I downloaded and installed the latest drivers and software from the Canon website on top of the existing installation, which did not help. The My Image Garden software began crashing completely with an error message about a bad .dll file. After talking to Canon tech support on the telephone, the support tech admitted that this software CD was probably not compatible with my old XP computer. The My Image Garden software uses like 500MB RAM which is too much resources for my machine. So the rep had me uninstall My Image Garden.

At that point I decided to uninstall everything and start over from scratch because something was obviously not right. For example, the Canon MP drivers were using 755 MB RAM, which seemed much too large. Obviously things had not installed properly from the setup CD, in general. The date on the setup CD was 2011, so apparently it was 2 years old, and long out of date!?

So I uninstalled everything except the Canon registration and onscreen user manual. I also kept Windows Adobe RGB 1998 because I didn't see any way to uninstall it. I also uninstalled .NET 4 which the setup CD had said was necessary, as well as Microsoft XPS EP which My Image Garden had also told me was needed. Then I cleaned up my computer as well as possible with help of Revouninstaller and Ccleaner, which was necessary because things were very messy with many uninstalled remnants and incorrect registry entries. I feel lucky to have survived those tasks without having to reinstall my op system. It wasn't easy.

Then I installed the following 2 modules (only) downloaded from the Canon website:

MG2200 series MP Drivers Ver. 1.01 (Windows 8/8...         01/31/13     14.07 MB
File Name: mp68-win-mg2200-1_01-ejs.exe
This file is a driver for Canon IJ multifunction printers. You can install the following items of the software: MP Drivers: The driver for Canon IJ multifunction printer. IJ Scan Utility: The software that allows you to easily scan photos, documents, etc.

*My Printer Ver. 3.1.0 (Windows 8/8 x64/7/7 x64/...         01/07/13     5.12 MB
File Name: mypr-win-3_1_0-ea11_2.exe
This file allows you to easily change the settings such as the paper source settings and provides you with information on how to solve problems such as ink smudging.

I believe that's everything required to access all of the print, copy, and scan operations of this MG2220 printer. Based on my current understanding, I would classify everything else as optional. I use free Irfanview for editing and manipulation of images, which seems a satisfactory substitute for the other software.

I did not reinstall .NET 4 or Microsoft XPS EP, because apparently they're only required if you install the My Image Garden and/or Quick Menu modules. I also did not reinstall the Easy-WebPrint EX module which apparently only applies to printing with the Internet Explorer browser, while I primarily use Firefox, Chrome, or Opera browsers. And of course I did not reinstall My Image Garden nor the Quick Menu, which were so problematical originally.

On the bright side, the Canon MP drivers appeared to install correctly this time, using only 35 MB RAM (vs 755 MB previously). Also the Canon IJ Scan utility was reinstalled automatically as a part of that driver installation process. Those items have their own shortcuts. I found it useful to make one additional shortcut via Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes > "Canon MG2220 series printer", to allow easy access to all of the internal printer settings and variables. Like I said, I believe this is all that's required, in addition to some image manipulation software such as Irfanview. I deal mostly with documents and never print photos nor use cameras. Those who have large photo collections and/or cameras may need something like My Image Garden or Easy-PhotoPrint EX.

I previously used Lexmark printers for the prior 10+ years, where everything is controlled by software from the computer. I never had to use the buttons on the printer. That's obviously different with this Canon printer, which will take some getting used to.

I'm disappointed that there's apparently no way to enlarge or reduce the % copy size with this model. Is there? I also don't find any setting for lighter/darker when making copies. Is there? There are apparently no other enhancements or filters available when copying. Are there? Similarly, scanning seems remarkably unversatile with this model and I can't find any way to set a scan for ligher/darker or apply various enhancements/filters. Are there?

The printing seems OK, but I must still decide whether the very limited copy and scan options will be sufficient to my needs. I'm not sure yet. I might take it back for a refund and get something better, if I knew what was better. That's another research project. Suggestions?

Thanks for any feedback.

I decided to keep my MG2220 printer and have been using it successfully. It does everything I need routinely in the way of printing, copying, and scanning. It took quite a bit of self-education to figure things out at first.

I've read that it is fully plug-and-play for printing with Windows 7 but I have only tried it with Windows XP. The copy functions are all onboard the printer (buttons), no software required. Really, only the scanning function requires software installation ("drivers"). The rest is all icing on the cake (optional).

You can download everything necessary (and several things you probably don't need) at the Canon website:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/printers_multifunction/photo_all_in_one_inkjet_print...

I see that most of the software has been updated in the last 1-2 months so I would recommend that rather than trying an old in-the-box installation CD.

farukdmn
Apprentice

Hi, I have Canon Pixma MG2220 printer and I bought it a couple days ago but I always taking error when I scan document. Error code is 5,156,61. How can I solve this problem ?

I don't know anything about error codes. Maybe a Canon expert can answer that. But the first thing I would try is..

download the current driver from

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/printers_multifunction/photo_all_in_one_inkjet_print...

ininstall your old driver
install the new one

iirc(?) the Canon IJ Scan Utility comes as part of that driver, but I don't know if you need to uninstall the old one first

Announcements