cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my Printer did not come with all the cables required to connect to my computer

hyrulewarrior64
Apprentice

I just got a PIXMA ip2820 and it did not come with all the cables required to connect to my pc or is it wireliss and if so how to I get it to connect wirelessly 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

Our printers do not come with USB cables.  If you do not have a cable from a previous printer, you can purchase any standard A to B USB cable locally to make the connection.  This is a fairly common cable that can be found at most major office supply or electronics retailers.

The iP2820 can only be used with a USB connection.  It does not have wireless capabilities.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40

This is a garbage answer.  Your products shoud come with everything needed to operate the product.  Usb cables are cheap, however when sold seperately in stores they are subject to arbitrary price mark ups.  Packaging the cord with the product is what should be done.

If I went to buy a TV, and I got home only to find there was no power cord for said tv, this would not be acceptable. 

I've got a big project due, now I can't print it out...  Now I'm going to be late since I have no other means of printing this out.  I do not own a car and the nearest office supply store is thirty miles away.  So if I lose my job over this... thanks canon.

Gals and dudes, I feel you pain. I'm just finishing the setup of my FIRST PRINTER, G4510 series, and yup, no cord. At first I was thinking if I was going stupid or something, did I lose it? No. Not included. By the way, it isn't the standard cord you get with mobile phones either, so no luck. PS: Canon, mobile phone users usually upgrade also, yet the cord is included. What were you thinking?

Oh for eff sake, who's the product manager of yours?

Best.

Thanks very much for the inconvenience. Now I have to go back out to the shops again. First and last time I ever buy a Canon product.

Eklipz01
Apprentice
Ramona, the point is that the printer didn't include the NEEDED cable in its packing... on purpose... Don't tell me, as a new Canon customer, that "oh you need to buy that separate." Especially when it's not mentioned on that box that it's sold separately, and there isn't any mention in the booklet either. As one customer service rep to another, that's poor customer service, and false advertising!

Hi!

We can understand your concern.  The packaging for the PIXMA iP2820 does in fact mention that the USB cable is not included.  If you look around to the side of the box, you'll see a diagram of the box's contents.  Just beneath that box, it specifically states that a USB cable is not included.

For many people, they are buying this printer to replace an older one.  You can reuse the USB cable from your previous printer as it's an industry-standard connection.  If you don't have an A-to-B USB cable, you can find affordable ones in a variety of lengths wherever printers are sold.

We've included pictures of the PIXMA iP2820's box panel below to show you where to find this information.

We hope this clears things up!

ip2820boxlarge.PNG

ip2820contentsdetail.PNG

I understand and did notice the very small print saying that this device required a high speed usb cable and because the input and output sizes vary on every one for every device to do nothing more than make more money. It's a cable that connects to the computer. I literally have 50 plus usb cables and did not think that I would need to make the extra purchase because of this. But once again, because this very simple electric connection device was designed so that the input for the printer is five sided and not compatable with almost every other usb cable in existance, I now have the same problem. Sadly it has set back my work for the weekend and now have to return the device and find something probably more expensive from another company to satisfy the ever changing needs that accompany these quickly changing technologies. Thanks. Wasted time. Yet again.

Kirose
Apprentice
Really?? I mean, wow. Just bought one of your printers and was expecting to use it, well Now. I assumed it would have everything NEEDED. Instead I get to turn around and run back into town. Just, awesome. Yeah. One heck of a way for a company to make impressions on new customers. This, makes me angry. It's idiotic to not include a cable that is REQUIRED to USE the machine. I get to drive far out of my way now to buy something that should of been included in my first purchase. Sheer idiocy. Shame on me, I suppose, for assuming competency.

EttoreFieramosc
Apprentice

Originally I was staying on this page for a while (because obviously I had the same issue like you all earlier this day) and meanwhile got a request from the system to fill a test about my experiences with this whole community service. (because the company "values" my feedback) I went through the steps and in the and it asked me: "Do you have any other feedback you want to share?" I was like: "oh.. I definately have" so I wrote the following text:

"Yes, I have. It is outrageous how you treat your costumers in this thread:

The arguments of the product experts and the moderators not only pointless, but even puts your company into a very risky situation considering the fact that someone could easily sue you. The problem in the topic simply exists because your -hope not intentional disgusting behaviour, but- terrible fault. But instead of learning from the replies, they even start to argue about it and tell the customers it's happened because of the lack of their attention. Selling a product without an important component and giving the customers only a tiny "warning" is unacceptable, but I know you know it. Imagine you ask for a scoop of icecream and the seller gives it into your hand without a cone and when you ask him why did he do that he replies: it was written on the bottom of the stand that you should buy the cone somewhere else. I almost missed a final exam and lost a year of my life (and a lot of money) because I tought we have a brand new (working) printer in its original box at home which I only have to set up to print some pages in no time. Be glad that I dont care that much about this whole story because I managed to get the exam done. Have you heard about the cat and the microwave lawsuit? If I would have to teach how to be good in customer service (or simply how to communicate) I would show this whole stuff to the students as an example how not to act. (Maybe I will.) Hope the staff which replied back in 2012 to the comments are already had to face the consequences.

I'm glad I was able to help you to improve a multinational corporation. Shame on you. I hope you truly value my feedback and something will change!
Have a nice day! :)"

I only posting it to here because ridiculously I've got the following error message when I tried to send my text:

"This value must be shorter than 500 characters in length."

Now I know how much value my feedback have..

LividLucy
Apprentice

I registered for the forum just so that I could add to these voices, who are rightly expressing how ridiculous and awful this is. I wonder how many more have not bothered to comment and will simply take their business elsewhere?

I know it's just a missing cable, but obtaining it costs the consumer 10x what it costs Canon.

Honestly? You're cheap, you're tacky, and you've lost a lot of customers through this petty behaviour.

Shame on you.

TechFan
Apprentice

Mine also did not appear to come with all the cables that were needed, however unlike the others, the box itself states that the USB cable is included but it was not, this clearly is false advertisement and needs to be looked into as that's not something that should be happeningIMG_20180718_085824900.jpg

Announcements