Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

iP8720 Printer-Photo Sizing Issues

I have a Canon iP8720 Photo printer and Windows 10. I also use GIMP as my photo editor, which is almost identical to Photoshop.  I'm trying to print a 12x18" photo on 13x19" paper, and it won't do it properly.

In GIMP, I've scaled the photo to 12x18".  Then in the GIMP Page set up menu, I choose A3+ paper (13x19") and it seems to set margins on its own that I can't change. I then go to my Printer to set up for photo printing.

In the FILE PRINT and Image Setting Menu, it's set at W 11.024 x H 16.555, with the left and right positionsset. I can't change these settings, and the printer seems to default to these setting no matter what I set in the Canon Printer Preference box. I've gone into these settings to try to set what I want. I select A3+ paper size with a Custom page set up of 12x18". Then I do a printing preview, and it's goes to the the size in the File Print Image settings, which are smaller! I just want to be able to have a 12x18 photo be centered on a 13x19 photo paper so I stop wasting expensive printer paper and ink.  I don't think it should be this hard!

I talked with a computer guy who tried to help, but ended up thinking there was a compatibilty problem with my Asus CPU nad Canon printer. Does anybody  have any ideas?  Please help!

Thanks, Eloise

Reputable Contributor

Re: iP8720 Printer-Photo Sizing Issues

What happens if you take your 12x18 inch photo, and center it over a 13x19 image of pure white? That is, you then print a 13x19 image with white margins?

To save ink for this test, create just a 12x18 inch few pixel wide black or gray box.  Then see where that box is positioned in the actual print. Hopefully it will have 1/2 inch margins all around.

--
Ricky

EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L, 600EX-RT (x6), ST-E3-RT
EOS C70, RF 24-70 f/2.8L IS