cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iP4500 error message

ghaebich
Apprentice

When I attempt to print, I receive:Support Code: 1401 A print head is not installed or the installed print head is not compatible with this printer.  Install an appropriate print head and close the cover of the printer.

The printer worked fine Saturday, I received a message that a software update was available for my printer, clicked OK to download and shut down for the evening.  Sunday I tried to print and received this error message.  Any ideas?

14 REPLIES 14

Crista
Whiz

Hi ghaebich!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know what operating system you are using. That way, community will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your product.

Thanks!

ghaebich
Apprentice
Sorry. I'm using Mac OS 10.6.8

Hi ghaebich,

Let's try reseating the print head to try and resolve the issue:

1. Confirm that the printer is powered on and open the top cover. The print head moves to the replacement position.

Note: When the top cover is opened more than ten minutes, the print head moves to the right side. If this occurs, close the top cover, and open it again.

2. Open the paper output tray and pull down the inner cover.

3. Remove the ink tanks by pressing the tab of each tank and lifting them out of the print head.

Note: Handle the ink tanks with care so that your clothes and surrounding area do not get soiled. When replacing multiple ink tanks, make sure to replace one by one.

4. When removing the print head, raise the print head lock lever first.

To reinstall the Print Head and Ink Tanks

1. Place the print head in the holder and lower the print head lock lever carefully until you hear a click.

2. Insert ink tanks into the print head.

Press the mark 'PUSH' on the ink tank firmly until you hear a click.

3. Ensure that all the ink tanks are installed properly and the ink tank lamps light red.

Note: <Ink Tank Lamp> You can check the status of each ink tank according to the way its lamp flashes.

- On: The printer is ready to print.

- Slow flashing (at about three second interval): Ink is low. Prepare a new ink tank.

- Fast flashing (at about one second interval): Ink tank is empty, or the printer is not ready due to an error.

- Off: An error has occurred and the printer is not ready to print.

4. Put back the inner cover and close the top cover.

Note: When starting printing next time, the print head cleaning launches automatically.
During the print head cleaning, the Power lamp flashes green. Do not do other operations until the flashes stops.

If these steps do not resolve the issue, please use the Contact Us link to contact our support for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I also have same error message on XP.  Paper goes through and sounds like printing but comes out blank.

I removed and reinstalled print head as instructed - same error

Print head running in ink put user manual says not to wipe it

What next please?

I tried this, but nothing changed with the problem.

Tried this with no success.  Bought a new MG5420 printer.  It's okay.

Is it just me or is this printhead error a major concern, a quick google will show a litany of simmilar problems on various forums and such.

What is very disapointing is the total lack of options given from CANON to this problem and we are left with an almost insulting reply of "take the print head out and reset it".

I have been a devotee of CANON and reccomended and sold many hundreds of them over the years, I will probably be reconsidering this in the future.

It wouldn't be so bad if the printers concerned were the bottom of the range cheap models.

Customer Service................A Dying art.

Whats really going on with Canon.

i got the same stupid message :error 1401

Ive tried cleaning the old head with meth

and put back in - properly

no go

Ive injected solution through nozzles

put back in and the same - no go

Just because I cannot get a new canon to buy - (sad state of affairs)

that drives  PPC OSX 10.5.8 - I had to put out for a new head

just to be able to print from my mac

GUESS WHAT?!!!

I obviously wasted my money because

I still get that infernal message:error 1401

what to do next..

KKD7799
Apprentice

I have the same problem. Worked fine until it didn't. Got the message on this post and ALSO error Service error 5200.

All cartridges glow red. will not do maintenence like tests and cleaning. Tried tips on this post but no improvement. Resume light flashing yellow. Reloaded driver from Canon site. Windows 7 system. Pls help I love this printer!!!

Announcements