cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iP4500 error message

ghaebich
Apprentice

When I attempt to print, I receive:Support Code: 1401 A print head is not installed or the installed print head is not compatible with this printer.  Install an appropriate print head and close the cover of the printer.

The printer worked fine Saturday, I received a message that a software update was available for my printer, clicked OK to download and shut down for the evening.  Sunday I tried to print and received this error message.  Any ideas?

14 REPLIES 14

I also have the same issue just now. The resume light is yellow and blinks five at a time. What is a solution to this issue?

I had the same problem (orange light flashing) that no amount of turning off and on again would cure. So I removed the inks and the print head, as described above in this thread. Inverting the head revealed a lot of waste ink - probably the cause of the 'incompatible print head' message that can appear when there is a blockage. To fix the problem apply a few drops of methylated spirit to both the black and colour nozzle areas, taking care not to touch them. This will gently dissolve the surplus ink that can be removed by dabbing a tissue on each of the ink cartridge seatings, where droplets will have formed, as the mixture of meths and ink work their way through the print head. Repeat several times, then replace the head and inks in the printer and leave overnight. Restart the printer and if necessary press the resume button, when the orange light will stop flashing and normal service will resume. If it doesn't, repeat the procedure, to remove any remaining ink residues. As meths is basically neat alcohol this is an ideal solvent and should not harm the intricate passageways of the print head, whilst dissolving any congealed ink that was causing the malfunction. Well worth trying, before rushing off to buy a new print head that costs more than a new printer!

update on my own post--I finally spoke to tech support and they told me the printer head was toast and it would be cost prohibitive to replace it. 

Dianadives
Apprentice

receiving the message when i want to print a photo on my canon pixma4500 printer:

"printer head not installed properly or printer head not recognized by printer"

I have reinstalled this printer head and cartridges several times (they are new) and unplugged printer for a hour.  still no correction made....any other ideas?

Hi Dianadives,

Because reseating the printhead did not clear the error, it is recommended that you call one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements