cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i455 print head

mmcl26554
Contributor

I have an i455 color printer.   It doesn't have a lot of hours on it as I only use it when I need color.  But it does a very nice job with color,  Recently it has stopped printing, in that it only prints blank pages.  Mostly   when I try to print it will just give me the code for the print head not connected and not even attempt to print.  I have tried cleaning the contact points on the print head with a pencil eraser but no avail.  I can purchase a new print head for $25, but I need to somehow find out if the problem is the printer or the print head.  If it is the printer itself then I would waste the $25 I could use to replace the printer.   Can anyone assist me in this?

Michael

7 REPLIES 7

Karl1
Rising Star

hi mmcl26554,

Unfortunately without taking the printer apart, the only easy way to find out whether the problem is print head or printer related is trial and error with a known working print head.  My best advice would be to see if you know anyone who has a working i455 that you might be able to try swapping print heads with, but other then that, taking your chances replacing the print head or looking into upgrading to a newer model would be the only options I can suggest.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Karl,

Thank you for your reply.   I do not know anybody who has one so I can't do that.   However, you did mention "...without taking it apart".  Would you elaborate on that.   I am quite adept ad disassembling and repairing all sorts of things.  Including desk top and laptop computers.   Electronics has been a life long hobby and I have several pieces of test equipment.   So it there is a way to make the determination by disassembling and some testing that may be a viable option.  In any case I have nothing to lose.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately, we cannot advise on taking apart the printer since this printer is not serviced.  My recommendation would be to try this in another i455 to see if it works.  Otherwise, and I understand your reluctance to do this, but you would need to try purchasing a print head from our Sales Department.  I am sorry that I cannot be of further assistance to you. 

I can purchase a print head on ebay for $25 but I would like to be able to tip the scales tword the problem being with the print head before spending any money.  I don't think you people even sell the print heads as you have declared the i455 dead. But even if you do they surely would be expensive and I might even have to give you my first born to pay for it!  

Sometimes after removing and replacing the print head it will attempt to print a nozzle test and print correctly.  But most of the time it just flashes green and 6 yellows.  However, it will always run through the cleaning phase.  Something is intermittent between the printhead and the printer and I am certain it is not the connections.   What does this sound like to you?  Print head or printer?

Michael

Hi Michael,

I understand not wanting to purchase a print head without knowing that it is the issue.  However, I will say that this is most likely the problem since reseating can sometimes get it to work.  I cannot be sure of this though so it is only my opinion.  I would not recommend purchasing a print head from eBay because this is not an authorized dealer of Canon products and you may not get a new one.  Our Sales Department does sell these.  They can be reached by calling 1-800-828-4040 between 8AM and 12AM EST Monday through Sunday (excluding holidays). 

Yes, I know the print heads off ebay are used, but if they work who cares and it certainly beats the $80+ spent for an over priced OEM.   Besides if it is defective I can return it and no loss.  So why buy new?

The price you guys want for the head is more than I paid for the printer new.

Michael.   

Thanks for your help, I'll just invest in a new one!

Michael

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements