cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dirver for printer

ebetancourt
Apprentice

I was on phone with Mac support and was trying to download driver but not available.

11 REPLIES 11

Jason
Whiz

Hello ebetancourt .

The community is eager to assist!  To ensure the most accurate information is provided, we’ll need to know the model of the printer you are using, as well as the version of Mac in use (10.5, 10.6, 10.7, etc).  We look forward to hearing back from you!

scj7129
Contributor

It's obvious that you are using a PowerPC based Mac OS X and from what Canon is doing is seems to be false advertising by boldly displaying the Universal Logo on the packaging, when in fact there is no Universal Binary PowerPC print driver on the install CD. You my friend got caught like me in a classic case of "bait and switch"! I have the same issue too!

hi scj7129,

It's hard to defend the case when we don't know what operating system and what model is being referenced.  If you can give me a particular model that you had issues with in regards to a universal binary I can explain the presence of the logo.  In most cases while the CD may not carry universal binary drivers, the website has them available, but again, it depends on which product we are referencing.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

The model I am referring to for myself is the Canon Pixma MG5420.

I have a PowerPC G5 running Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard.

The printer box displays the Universal Logo in addition to the 10.5.8 Macl OS X requirement.

If you have any links for drivers, I would much appreciate your assistance!

Hi scj7129,

I don't see anything in the specifications that limit the printer to an Intel Based Mac, so the drivers on the website should allow you to install.  Please visti www.canontechsupport.com, type the Model Number in the provided field and press Enter.  Select Mac 10.5 from the Operating System drop down menus, and instead of downloading the Mini Master Setup, I would like to see what happens when you download and try to install the CUPS printer driver and the Scanner driver from oru website.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi, and thank for your reply!

I tried the CUPS driver as you suggested and no luck.

I did happen upon a discussion forum that mentions that the Universal Logo was to notate that the driver or software was a Universal Binary and compatible with PowerPC and Intel OS X platforms.

According to this discussion:

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-228901.html

It appears that some companies have loosely interpreted the logo to mean that the software will work on various Apple computers that implement the Intel chipset....and therfore display the logo on their packaging.

To me, this is false advertising and misleading by leaving too many things to be "assumed"....in other words, not enough clarity in communication is put forth in print on the packaging!

I hope you can understand my frustration!

I to purchased this printer thinking that it would be compatible with a powerpc mac. I have OS 10.5.8, and put the install cd in and could not install it. Went to the support site and downloaded the drivers and none of them would install. Also looked at the 10.4 drivers and there were none. All came up with architecture not supported. Where are the OS10.5.8 drivers for the powerpc macs?

Sorry!...There are none!.....Canon in it's "INFINITE WISDOM" (BS), decided that they don't want to support the PowerPC architecture any more. Long story short, Epson does, Canon doesn't!....Choose the "lesser" of the two "evils"! Canon offered to buy mine back, but since I have less than $200 in the printer plus an extra set of ink, it's not worth my time to ship it back and have to wait for the refund. Plus, I have a Windows XP machine that I have a shared folder for "Scans" and a shared folder for "Prints", so if I am working on my Mac, I access those shared folders and use the PC like a print server. I needed the printer mostly for printing to DVD/CD, which it does very well.

It all boils down to clarity of product packaging and truth in advertising!....It seems that Canon's "slipping" a bit!

Announcements