cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a Pixma automatically use the alternate black cartridge?

PRambler
Apprentice

When the 220 black cartridge in my Pixma goes empty will the printer automatically use the 221 black instead? I now have three 221 blacks on the shelf and would just as soon use them up instead of buying a 220.

4 REPLIES 4

Tiffany

Hi PRambler!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly what model printer you are using.   Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.

Thanks!

I'll look the model number up when I get home.  I was hoping it would be a generic question common to the line.

I have an MP560.

Hi PRambler,

The reason for the two different black ink tanks is for the different types of printing your unit is able to perform.  They are not intended as backups to each other. 

The larger black tank is pigment based, and is primarily used for standard black text printing or output.  The smaller black ink tank is dye based like the color inks, and is used for photo and graphics output. 

They are designed to complement each other, allowing the printer to produce the best possible black text output or photo quality as appropriate. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements