cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When did 8 x 10 prints become complicated?

jaymack
Enthusiast

I'm very frustrated with the steps taken to make an 8x10, which requires me to trim and cut. This was not the case for the last hundred or so years. Canon has slots for 4 x 6 and 5 x 7 but 8 x 10 has to go thru ridiculous steps. I've been told that it's because computer screens are formatted for 8 1/2 x 11.

I still don't understand. If I go to a framing shop, there are lots of 8x10 frames. My last printer, an Epson had a simple slot for 8 x 10's but all new printers seem to go with 8 1/2 x 11 and from that trim or cut. I had trouble on my last prints because I was doing a full 8x10, but in a white border. Ever try trimming white on white in 8 1/2? Not easy.

This print also was trimmed without my ability to keep the print the size it was shot in.

Acoma copy 2016.jpg

2 REPLIES 2

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

ETA:

Sorry did not answer the correct question

I have pretty much given up and just use the 8.5x11.

Thanks anyways, having 45 years in pro shooting, I have always liked 8 x 10 which for many years was the standard for shooting news and events and docs. Nobody complained. . Shucks, you still see 8X10 frames of every color and shape in stores. There are lots of different film sources, but I used something that an ordinary person can find a frame for.

Announcements