Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Scan and copy with MP240

ist it possible to use MP240 multifunction Device only for scan and copy without cartridges to be inside? how can i turn the error and warning messages and use only scanner ?

Product Expert

Re: Scan and copy with MP240

Hello M4n0u,

Both ink cartridges will need to be in the printer in order for the printer to scan, copy, or print, even if the ink cartridges are low or out of ink.  If both ink cartridges are installed, you can press and hold down the STOP/RESET button on the unit for at least 5 seconds, then release it to disable the ink level detection function of the printer and be able to scan until you are able to replace the ink cartridges.  Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
New Contributor

Thank you very much Ramona! Smiley Happy

New Contributor

I've had my MP240 for years and it worked just fine without the color cartridges because I mainly print letters.  Until resently, when I purchased a new black cartridge and now I get the error message that I must have color ink. So, for Canon to change the way my print functions after all this time is poor, unfair and deciptive business practises.  Fraud.

I want my printer restored to operate the way I initialy purchased it.  How do you make this happen?  If you can't reset my print or send a new driver, please refer me to a tech or supervisor that can before I contact an government agency to file a complaint.

A disappointed customer

Highlighted
Product Expert

Hi Ms_parkerAtl,

I can understand your frustration and I can help. The MP240 can be set to print with black ink only. This can be done from the printer driver.

Please be advised that the printer was retired in 2014 and if you are using Windows 10 or Mac OS X Yosemite v10.10 or higher, there are no drivers available for your model printer and you would not be able to set the printer for black ink only.

If you are running Windows 8.1 or lower, please follow these steps:

1.  Click on Start, and then click on Control Panel.

2.  Click on Printers and Faxes.

3.  Right click the PIXMA MP240 and left click on Properties.

4.  Click on the Maintenance tab at the top.

5.  Click on the Ink Cartridge Settings button.

6.  Change to Black Only.

7.  Click OK.

The PIXMA MP240 will only print from the black cartridge. IF you try this and still get a error about the color cartridge, then there may be an internal issue with the printer. Since the printer was retired in 2014 there are no longer any repair services provided for it.

You do qualify for our Canon Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This program allows you the opportunity to purchase a replacement product discounted from the list price. Free ground shipping is included with your purchase.

If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8 AM to midnight EST. Let them know you have been working with technical support and that the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.