cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving Faxes MX 922

jzlako
Contributor

I'm having trouble with my Verizon fios and my new Canon MX 922 all-in-one printer.  I cannot receive faxes.  The faxes sent to me sounds like fax but it just beeps. When receiving a fax, I MUST pick up the handset at the printer in order for the fax machine to pick up and receive the fax. What's supposed to happen (on Telephone Priority mode) is the fax should pickup either when handset picked up, OR answering machine picks up. If I let the answering machine pick up I cannot receive faxes from the other telephones in the house all I hear is a constant beep.  Then the fax does not answer and ends after the answering machine picks up. I have turned off call waiting  and Verizon voicemail. Again the fax tone comes through but all I receive our beep tones and my fax machine does not pick up. It worked just fine on my previous Samsung printer.

Does anyone have any suggestions or help?  Verizon says everything should work with their system including faxing. 

22 REPLIES 22

Here's an update...

I moved the base station to my office and plugged it into the MX922.  I used one of the free fax sites to test the setup.  When it rang, I heard the fax service sending its tones, but the MX922 didn't pick up.  I did manage to get it to work if I switched the MX922 "Manual/Auto Switch" setting to ON, but as luck would have it, as soon as I received the fax successfully, my son called in and the machine picked up. 

So, it looks like whenever I'm expecting a fax, I'll have to set the Manual/Auto Switch to ON, then switch it back to OFF once the fax has been received.  That isn't the solution I was hoping for.  Has anyone gotten a better result?

My fax machine picks up automatically. Once I hear the fax tones I hang up and I'm usually pretty good. Otherwise I just answer the phone anywhere in the house. Good luck.

What do you have your Manual/Auto switch set to?

My printer is set to automatically pick faxes up at the fifth ring. My answering machine is set to pick up at the fourth ring. That way I have for telephone rings to answer the phone.

I have hooked up the Fax as directed with the phone plugged into the back of the machine and another phone line running to the jack on the wall.  The machine sends FAXES but cannot receive them.  My previous PiXma (890) Fax worked on a different number from the telephone.  I am perplexed.  Can someone help me?  Do I set this up as FAX only? or line shared with the telephone?

I called the Canon help number 1-800-OK-CANON. You need what I call a land line connected to the print. If you are waiting for a fax, when the phone rings press Hook, which is to the left of Color, and then Black. I did not go into connecting an answering machine to the ext port in the back of the printer since I use my answering machine in the base unit for my wireless phones.

I do not see "receiver: mode" on my MX 922?  Nor do I see "user friendly" under advanced settings after setting tel priority mode..

Barbara

<personal information removed per forum policy> 

I too will n o longer by canon printers because of this issue.  They have done nothnig to remedy this.  Like others have said what if the person is not home and a fax comes in?

I am closing this account and forum.... 

frausty
Apprentice
Canon recommends attaching the answering machine to the printer, but my printer is downstairs and my answering machine is upstairs, and I prefer to keep them there. I don't get too many faxes, and I find the following works if I know I'm going to receive a fax. I ask the sender to wait a few minutes before sending the fax, and I get machine ready for receiving by pushing the "Fax" button, then switching it from the "TEL Priority" to “Fax Only” mode (center dash below display).

randyw2
Apprentice

I too have same issue.

I called Canon and support person informed me that you must either have a telepone handset or answer machine plugged directly into the printer (along with telephone line).

This printer does not have the capablity of "picking up the phone' on its own like other printer / fax machines.

You have to do it with a handset manually or let your answer machine pick up and then the printer will see that a fax is coming in.

The big problem I have is that my printer is not in a locatoin where I can run to it to answer a phone (just in case a fax is coming in) or a location where I want the answer machine to be. What about people that don't use answer machines and use vocie mail by Fios or ???. How are they suppose to receive faxes when they aren't home?

I asked for the "complaint" department as was told that they don't have one.

Last Canon I will every buy, cannot even take it back becasue Best Buy return policy!

Announcements