cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer profiles

brassman
Enthusiast

What do these mean; Canon ip8700 series MP2, GL2, GL3, PT1, PT2 PT3, SG2/LU2, SG3/LU3. These all under printer profiles.

The profile for my printer, PIXMA ip8720 is not listed. I've been using Canon IJ Color Printer Profile 2005 which I don't think is right.Maybe the reason I've been getting magenta color casts on B&W prints. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm thinking the MP2 etc are paper types? Help.

11 REPLIES 11

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi brassman,

ICC profiles for your printer are included for use with programs such as Adobe Photoshop.  The profiles listed are for these specific papers:

MP2 is for Matte Finish with a custom quality setting of 2.
PR1 is for Photo Paper Pro with custom quality of 1.
PR2 is for Photo Paper Pro with a custom quality setting of 2.
SP1 is for Photo Paper Plus media Glossy with custom quality of 1.
SP2 is for Photo Paper Plus Glossy media with a custom Quality setting of 2.

Other papers are as follows:

PR is for Photo Paper Pro and Pro II
SP is for Photo Paper Plus Glossy
MP is for Matte Photo Paper
SG is for Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss
GL is for Photo Paper Plus Glossy II
PT is for Pro Paper Pro Platinum
LU is for Luster paper

If you are not using Canon Paper, these profiles may not work for you.

In regards to the magenta cast, please follow these steps:

1.  Turn your PIXMA iP8720 on and make sure paper is loaded into the sheet feeder.

2.  Press and hold the RESUME button on your PIXMA iP8720 until the printer light blinks twice. When you release the button, the Nozzle Check pattern will be printed.

3.  After the Nozzle Check pattern is printed, compare the results to the example that has been attached to the bottom of this post.

Does the Nozzle Check print correctly?

If not, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

iP8720 Nozzle Check.jpg

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Patrick,

The nozzle check sheet printed out with no problems - looks just like your example. Now what?

Depending on how you are printing and what paper you are using try the following.

1. if you are letting the printer manage color and are using canon paper just select the appropriate paper.

2. if you are letting the photo app manage color you will need to select the paper type in the driver and the correct paper profile in the printing application.

Patrick's message above gives you the link between paper type and ICC profile.

Let us know what application you are printing from and we can be more specific.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

HI,

I am new to printing and I am looking for the right profile for the paper I  now have. the printer I use is Pixma IP8750

You say GL is for Photo paper plus glossy II. In Affinity there is GL2 and GL3. Wich one do I choose?

LU is ok for Canon LU-101 pro luster photo paper 260 grams A4 (20 vel)? this also comes in 2 or 3. like; SG2/LU2 and SG3/LU3. Wich one do I take? 

Does 2 or 3 say something about the grams? 

Canon SG-201 photo paper plus semi-gloss 260 grams A4 (20 vel)--> SG2/LU2 or SG3/LU3?

Canon PT-101 photo paper pro platinum 300 grams A4 --> wich one? PT1,PT2 or PT3? 

Canon PM-101 Premium Matte paper 210 g/m2 A4 (20 vel)--> MP2 ?

what do you mean with the costom quality settings of 1 or 2? 

I hOpe you can help me out here! 

TIA 

Kim 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
The 1, 2 or 3 in the profile is the print quality. Because of the surface finish matte papers do not have a 1 quality setting. Just 2 or 3. Red River Paper did some testing with the Pro-100 and concluded that the quality difference between 1 and 2 was negligible.

I would suggest you select quality setting 2 as a start for all papers. When you are getting consistently good prints then try setting 1 for your glossy and luster papers and see if it makes a difference to you.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank you for this quick answere! 

and 1 being lowest quality?  /????? 

2 is the safest for now, Ill try that 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

No. 1 is highest quality.

https://www.redrivercatalog-dot-com/infocenter/articles/canon-pro-100-review-introduction-first-look...

I can't directly paste the link becasue of forum rules. just replace "-dot-" with a period "."

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I have another question about the magenta testprint. Can I do this once on regular paper or do I need to test that with every papertype and ICC?

The test print s just to see that your printer is working correctly and that your monitor is adjusted to look like the print. 

As as long as you are happy with results you are all set. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements