cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma printer adding color while trying to print black and white.

georgeisabamf
Apprentice

I've had this printer (Pixma MG5320) for about a year and a half now and recently noticed a problem with it.  I have been doing a lot of black and white photography lately (both digital and analog), and every black and white photo I print has some color fo it.  For instance I printed out a black and white digital picture I took recently that I edited using Nik's Silver Efex Pro.  Instead of the picture coming out black and white, it has an orange/red hue to it throughout the image, yet on my monitor it is void of all colors (except shades of black and white of course).   A few months ago I tried to print another picture, and it had a blueish/green hue printed throughout the picture as well.

I am printing all these photos via Photoshop, and even went into the settings to click on "grayscale printing" but the problem still persists.  The printer does this with both brand new ink cartridges and ones that have been used before.  I can't figure out if there is some odd setting in Photoshop that I may have accidently messed around with (though there really shouldn't be), or if it's an issue with the printer itself.  If I print a color photo, all the colors seem about right and I don't notice an off hue on any of them.

Does anyone know what could cause this?  I am just trying to troubleshoot the whole ordeal because it's gotten to the point where printing b&w photos is not in question until I figure this issue out. 

6 REPLIES 6

georgeisabamf
Apprentice
Any ideas?

bump

Hi, georgeisabamf!

Thanks for posting on our forum! This community is designed for your fellow Canon owners to help each other out with any problems they may encounter. If this is a time-sensitive matter, contacting our US-based technical support team is the most efficient way to get these issues straightened out. They're standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

Howe2Why4
Apprentice

I saw one post that said to change from Bonjour software to IJ software which I tried since it worked for one user but it didn't work for me. My B&W is still printing red. Hope you find a solution, I haven't found it for my MX920 yet.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Have you changed papers? Is the color severe our just a light colorcast? Some papers will react to the type of lighting and have a color cast when viewed under the lighting. Do you see the colorcast if you view the image outside in daylight?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

normadel
Authority
Authority

I have a Pixma MG5420 and discovered early on that it uses colors when printing grayscale. Even though there are TWO black inks!

Here's a Canon Knowledge base article I discovered on how to use black only:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART161245

Announcements