Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Pixma ix6820 printing very dark (Mac OS 10.14)

[ Edited ]

I did some test prints today with my new ix6820 and cannot get the color to match what I'm seeing on my screen. Some info on my setup:

Computer: MacBook Pro 15" 2017

Photo software: Photoshop CC 2019

Printer driver: latest as of 1/5/19 (installed via 'Canon IJ network', not Bonjour/Airprint)

Paper: Canon Photo Paper Pro Luster

My photo example is a sunset photo with lots of orange hues, but they're basically invisible in any prints, crushed out in dark grays and blacks. I have tried doing color management in Photoshop, Canon, and with Apple's ColorSync. Photoshop management produced the darkest results. I couldn't tell the difference between Canon and ColorSync. In every scenario, I selected the appropriate ICC profile for my Canon photo paper in Apple's print dialog. 

As a last resort I installed the Canon Image Garden software that is available for download for this printer. I selected High print quality, selected my Luster paper, and verified that everything in Apple's Print Dialog window reflected the settings I selected in Image Garden. The good news is that it captured way more of the orange and is a brighter print overall than when I printed the same photo from Photoshop + print dialog, but it's still not that close to what I'm seeing in Photoshop. 

Anyone else have this issue with dark prints from macOS + Photoshop? 

Product Expert

Re: Pixma ix6820 printing very dark (Mac OS 10.14)

Hi steagl3,

Troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issues. Please contact our support group at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666), Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM EST(excluding holidays).

We look forward to hearing from you.