cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma iP8720 Printing faded colors

asiehler
Contributor

Hello,

I've used my Pixma ip8720 since early 2019 with no issues, only used Canon brand inks and papers. I recently bought a new computer (Windows OS) and hooked up my Pixma via USB since my wi-fi isn't strong. Ever since I connected it to my new computer, it's been printing "faded" pictures. I've run a cleaning and deep cleaning to check the nozzles at least twice now and it hasn't fixed the issue.

I use my Pixma to make prints of my artwork to sell so it is vital to my business. I haven't had any issues like this before and it only started when I connected it to my new computer. I've tried printing directly from my photo editing software (Corel Paintshop Pro), Windows printing, and the Canon Image Garden and it's the same result every time: colors washed out and faded. I've also replaced all the ink cartridges.

Other than a new computer, the files are the same, the settings are the same, and the connection via USB is the same.

I typically use:

Canon Pixma Matte Photo Paper

Quality: High

Paper Type: Matte Photo Paper

I'm at a complete loss and really devastated, so any help is really appreciated.

Thank you,

Ashley

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I legitimately do not understand how this fixed it, but I fixed it.

1.) I uninstalled everything related to my printer-- image garden, my printer, driver, even the manual, everything that came with the download package from Canon's website. EVERYTHING.

2.) Restarted computer.

3.) Manually downloaded only the driver, patch, and My Printer.

4.) Set up printer using USB with the wi-fi connection OFF on printer (hold pause button down until power lamp flashes 12 times).

5.) Printed same image on standard quality-- it came out crisp! Printed it on high quality-- it came out crisp!

I legitmately have no idea how I fixed this and I feel like a crazy person, but it's fixed. Gonna go outside now and reconnect with reality, even if outside around here right now is below zero.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

Does a nozzle check print OK?

If you go to Devcies & Printers in Control Panel does your printer icon possibly have a WS after the name?

Screenshot 2021-02-07 102444.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi, John!

I attached a photo of my nozzle check. It seems okay, maybe I'm a bit loopy from looking at so many prints, but too me it does also seem a shade too light, but it's been a while since I looked at a nozzle check.

20210207_104450.jpg

I also attached a screenshot of my printers manager. I use the one without WS because the WS uses the wifi connection that often fails mid-print or fails to communicate at all. The one I use says "offline" because I temporarily disconnected it from my new computer.

Printers and Scanners screen.jpg

Let me know if this helps at all, thank you so much!!

Ashley

asiehler
Contributor

20210207_110631.jpg20210207_110627.jpg

It might be a fool's errand trying to share photos of what I'm seeing in reality, but I'll try!

The first imaged labeled "old" is printed from my old clunky laptop with a usb connection to my Pixma. The second image labeled "new" is printed from my new speedy computer using the same usb connection to my Pixma. The differences don't seem huge at first but there's a definite more "crisp," vibrant image coming from my old laptop. The "new" image is slightly blurred and faded without the same "crispness." I printed these images one after another, first the "new" one and then the "old" one, so it seems like it must have something to do with communication between the devices to the printer.

As long as everything transferred correctly between my computers, these should be the exact same .png files. I tested it with other images as well and got the same result.

Hi Ashley. 

You do not want to use the WS version of the printer. It is actually a Microsoft driver that is dumbed down. I suggest you just remove it from your device. 

Is there a chance that the print dialogue settings on the new computer are different than the old one? 

I can't think of any reason why the computer should affect the output with the same software settings and printer driver settings. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hi, John!

Okay, I went ahead and clicked the "remove device" button under settings and removed that printer from my settings. This might be a dumb question, I'm a computer novice, but is there anywhere else I should go on my computer to make sure the driver is gone? I did another test print after I removed it and the issue is still there.

I checked between my old laptop and my new computer to make sure all the print dialogue settings where the same, and as far as I can tell they are.

I'm also at a loss, I just had my nonartistic husband take a look at my prints and he said the ones from my laptop look crisper also.

I really appreciate you taking the time to look things over with me and try to help. It's nice to see that there's such a thriving community of support here, makes me feel a lot less alone and in the dark.

I'm at a loss Ashley. 

The only other item I can think of to try is download and reinstall the printer driver from the Canon website. 

The WS driver should be gone, but if for some reason you ever see it as an option when you go to print just don't select it. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I appreciate your help, John. It really means a lot.

Thank you for trying, maybe someone else will stumble into this forum and have resolved this issue before.

I legitimately do not understand how this fixed it, but I fixed it.

1.) I uninstalled everything related to my printer-- image garden, my printer, driver, even the manual, everything that came with the download package from Canon's website. EVERYTHING.

2.) Restarted computer.

3.) Manually downloaded only the driver, patch, and My Printer.

4.) Set up printer using USB with the wi-fi connection OFF on printer (hold pause button down until power lamp flashes 12 times).

5.) Printed same image on standard quality-- it came out crisp! Printed it on high quality-- it came out crisp!

I legitmately have no idea how I fixed this and I feel like a crazy person, but it's fixed. Gonna go outside now and reconnect with reality, even if outside around here right now is below zero.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
When you get the answer you want stop asking questions:-)
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements