cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma 4500 printer driver

RickH
Apprentice

I need help making my old iP4500 printer wirk noiw that I've upgraded my iMac OS to 10.12.6 Sierra. The message I'm getting on the Canon website says 

There is no driver for the OS Version you selected. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver.

But whnen i try to pring I'm being told bt my computer that the printer OS needs to be upgraded to be compatible with the iMac OS. Feel like I'm going in circles and don't like that I can't talk wioth someone over the phone to get help.

I did call Apple support. They answered my call within 5 minutes and helped me as much as they could but told me about getting the driver from Canon.

Now what?
Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I believe your printer is too old to be supported by newer macOSs.

If you call Canon at 1-800-OK-CANON you can ask about their update program.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

jacksonjordon
Apprentice

Hello,

Follow these steps for downloading the Canon printer driver:

• Click the link and the download start automatically.
  • File will be saved on the computer desktop.
  • Double click the file to mount the Disk image.
  • Click on mounted disk image.
  • Installation start automatically.
jacksonjordon

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi RickH,

The iP4500 is not supported by the macOS Sierra v10.12. We do not have new drivers for this operating system. The last drivers that were made for this printer were for OS X Lion v10.7 environment. Soon after that, the printer was retired.

The drivers for the Lion v10.7 operating system may or may not function in the Sierra v10.12 environment. If it does work, there may be some limitations which are unknown to Canon. If you have a Mac computer running OS X Panther v10.3 through OS X Lion 10.7, your iP4500 will continue to work with that operating system.

If you want to try installing the older printer driver, please do the following:

1. If you are using a USB cable to connect the printer to your computer, disconnect one end of the cable.
  2. On your computer open this email and click HERE to go directly to the download site.
  3. Below the Drivers & Downloads, next to Operating System, you should see that your operating system is detected.
  4. Change the operating system to the “OS X Lion v10.7”
  5. A little further below and to the right, click on SELECT button next to the file titled “iP4500 series CUPS Printer Driver Ver. 10.67.2.0”
  6. Click on the red DOWNLOAD button
  7. If you are asked if you want to save the file, do so.
  8. Close the web browser, and go to your Downloads folder.
  9. Double-click on the file titled, “mcpd-mac-ip4500-10_67_2-ea11.dmg”
  10. In the window that opens, double-click on the icon that appears as an open box with a yellow package inside.
  11. A welcome screen will appear, follow the on-screen instructions to install the software on your computers
    • NOTE: If you are asked for a password, it is requesting your computers log-in/administrative password.
  12. Do not reconnect the USB cable until you are instructed or the installation to complete.

As soon as you connect the cable, your computer should add the printer. If it does not, there is nothing else we can suggest.

You do qualify for the Canon Upgrade Program.

This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This program allows you the opportunity to purchase a replacement product discounted from the list price. We will also include free ground shipping with your purchase.

If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8 AM to midnight EST. Let them know you have been working with technical support and that the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Does this help resolve the issue described?  If so, please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for the replies.

I called the Canon sales department and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I'm getting a brand new much better printer for $50 including shipping and a pack of paper!

I've had the old printer for 8 years. Time for an upgrade.
Thanks Canon.

Announcements