cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paper to match ICC profiles

tom560
Apprentice

I have a Canon iP8750 printer, which has a number of ICC profiles inbuilt.

The paper codes showing up are GL2, GL3, MP2, PT1, PT2, PT3, SG2/LU2 and SG3\LU3. All profiles are dated June 2013.

When I look on the Canon web store none of the paper, said to be for my specific printer, match these codes. Does this mean that the paper codes in the ICC profile have been changed and if so how do I know which codes in my profiles match those in the Canon store? For example I have MP2 showing in one of my profiles, but the store has MP101?

Is there a correlation table, or similar, that lets me match Canon paper with equivelants from other paper manufacturers such as Epson?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you are using Canon paper then when you select the media type in the driver (by paper name) the driver will select the correct ICC profile.

MP101 is the product code for Matte Photo Paper. MP2 is the ICC profile for Quality 2.

PT is Platinum Pro Quality setting 1 or 2

MP is Matte Photo Paper Quality 2

SG/LU is Plus SemiGloss or Luster Quality 2 or 3

Since Epson also makes printers they don't provide a correlation to canon and vice versus.

But third party paper suppliers should give you the appropriate Canon paper media type to select when you print with their paper, and they will also provide an ICC profile for the printer/paper combination.

For example: 

Annotation 2020-03-09 120142.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you are using Canon paper then when you select the media type in the driver (by paper name) the driver will select the correct ICC profile.

MP101 is the product code for Matte Photo Paper. MP2 is the ICC profile for Quality 2.

PT is Platinum Pro Quality setting 1 or 2

MP is Matte Photo Paper Quality 2

SG/LU is Plus SemiGloss or Luster Quality 2 or 3

Since Epson also makes printers they don't provide a correlation to canon and vice versus.

But third party paper suppliers should give you the appropriate Canon paper media type to select when you print with their paper, and they will also provide an ICC profile for the printer/paper combination.

For example: 

Annotation 2020-03-09 120142.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

tom560
Apprentice
Thanks John, that's really helpful.

Just to find a UK equivalent, of Red River, who provides an equivalent service

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I don’t live in UK, but have seen Fotospeed abd Marrut in various posts.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Darius
Whiz

Hi Tom560.

You may wish to check with Canon UK for ICC Profiles developed for the iP8750.  Some paper manufacturers, such as Red River, Canson, and Hahnemühle may provide ICC Profiles, or recommendations on native paper setting recommendations for a given line of papers.  In some cases, such as Epson papers, some amount of trial and error may be necessary.

Note: The native ICC Profiles accompany the Canon-developed printer drivers, and may be unavailable if generic or third-party drivers are in use.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks - I couldn't find, at first glance, profiles on the Canon UK site, so have asked support

Announcements