cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA iX6820 orange light steady and no functions

SeaWolf
Contributor

PIXMA iX6820 has the orange light on steady, not flashing. Neither button responds when pressed. Printer was not touched or moved but there was a power failure. I have unplugged both the printer and the USB, let it sit for a while and plugged back in. Orange light comes on and that's it. Diagnose and repair program on the PC now states "The printer supported by My Printer cannot be detected". Would really like a solution to this. If a link is posted, please make sure it is a valid link to help and not a redirect to the home page for Canon.  .. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SeaWolf
Contributor

If anyone is interested ... The solution that may work for this is to unplug the printer. Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds. Plug it back in and see if that has solved the problem. Solution came from a computer geek, not Canon. Reason for this happening is an elecrical charge built up internally. Holding in the power button allows that charge to drain off and allow the electronics inside to be able to function normally.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Danny

Hi, SeaWolf!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which operating system is running on your computer (i.e. Windows or Mac OS, and which version thereof). That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

I might be wrong, but this appears to be a canned/automated response. Operating system is Windows 10 Education. The unit was running just fine and has been since new. Just installed new ink cartriges a week ago and have been printing with them just fine. Electical power went out and when it came back on the printer is now like this. I unplug the unit and when I plug it back in, the orange light immediately comes on and is a steady light. No other lights are lit. No lights inside where the ink cartriges are. Nothing happens when you lift the lid (ink cartriges do not come into view). The ONLY light lit is the steady orange light. No buttons respond to any touch.  I have already gone through the "Knowlege Base" nothing there comes close to this issue.

SeaWolf
Contributor

If anyone is interested ... The solution that may work for this is to unplug the printer. Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds. Plug it back in and see if that has solved the problem. Solution came from a computer geek, not Canon. Reason for this happening is an elecrical charge built up internally. Holding in the power button allows that charge to drain off and allow the electronics inside to be able to function normally.

JayC1
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi. Thank you for contributing to the Canon community. I see that you have already fixed this issue.

When this happens, we normally recommend leaving the power cable disconnected for at least an hour. During that time, the electrical charges that build up inside the printer will slowly go away. After the hour is up, please reconnect the power cable and turn the printer on.

If you don't have time to wait, you can disconnect the power cable and hold down the power button for a minute or press the power button repeatedly. Both of those options may also work. If they don't, please leave the power cable disconnected for at least one hour.

If the printer does not turn back on successfully after you have done the above, there may be a mechanical or electronical issue with the printer. Our printers do come with one-year warranties. If your printer is still under warranty and you have a receipt or shipping invoice that shows the purchase information, please create a My Canon Account and call in so we can provide you with some warranty options.

To create a Canon account and register the printer, you can go to the following website:

https://myprofile.americas.canon.com/us/signin

If you believe the warranty has expired, you are eligible for a discount with Canon's Upgrade Program. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a new or refurbished product that uses Canon’s newest technologies, including such features as built-in WiFi, Airprint and Cloud Print, carries a one year limited manufacturer’s warranty, and to help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free ground shipping.

If you would like to take advantage of this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M. (Eastern Time), Monday through Saturday. Let them know you have been working with chat support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Been a while but I do not troll here that often. It would really be helpful if this was addressed in the database. To be honest, my particular printer was unplugged for over a week before I tried the solution suggested to me. Unplugging it for an hour may not be very realistic as these units seem able to hold a charge very well. Repeatedly pushing the power button when it is turned off has also worked for me recently. Again, that information came from someone else. Where is it mentioned in the Canon Help files, anywhere, that your solution of "press the power button repeatedly" is listed as a help solution to the Orange Light Staying on Solid and not blinking? We need our peripherals to be working and saying the solution is to trade them in for something different isn't helping us. The Pixma ix6820 is not a cheap piece of hardware and things like this just shouldn't be happening. If Canon has bothered to research this and find out "why" this seems to happen to so many people, why not issue a replacement part that corrects the issue instead of suggesting that it be "upgraded" to cloud features. Cloud is not at all helpful if there are internet issues. No internet, no cloud ... no printer. I can ill afford to have a printer bricked because there is no internet for it to work.

sabrewolfedeng
Apprentice

I tried doing all of these options with my TR4522 and none of them worked I had to leave my printer unplugged for almost 2 months in order to get the 5 pages I printed over the course of 2 days. Is there an easier solution other than buying another printer since this one is barely 2 years old

SeaWolf
Contributor

The TR4522 is not the same printer I had the issue with. This time, nothing worked and I junked a barely used printer. Out of warranty so it is my loss. Sad because, when it worked, it worked very nicely. Bought a color lazer printer (Color imageCLASS MF741Cdw) instead and no more issues. But also no more nice photos. Maybe I am shooting myself in the foot trusting Canon again but we'll see. If I am not using it, it will remain unplugged to avoid (hopefully) any more electrical issues.

Announcements