Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

PIXMA MX-432 Scanning Problem

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have a Canon Pixma MX-432 multipurpose printer.  I am trying to scan documents however there is no black ink catridge in the printer (it ran out and I gave it to a friend to replace tomorrow morning) but I need to scan tonight. However, when I turn it on I can't access the scanning menu as the LCD displays:

Check Ink

U051    Blk"

It won't let me do ANYTHING on the device, I tried holding the "stop" button for 5 seconds to disable the ink detection but it had no effect.

Product Expert

Re: PIXMA MX-432 Scanning Problem

Hi NavyDDG54,

When you pressed and held the STOP button, did you receive a message?  If so, what did the message say?  Also, what does the screen of your printer currently read.  If you don't see a message after holding the button for 5 seconds, hold it a little longer and try again.  There should be some indication that the cartridge's ink level detection was disabled. 

I see that you posted several days ago, so I'm guessing the cartridge was replaced by now.  If this occurs again, this tactic will normally work in a pinch.  If you encounter any other time sensitive-matters, additional support options are always available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
New Contributor

I  have a catridge now but I'd like to figure this out so I'm continuing the troubleshooting. 

The printer display of:

Check Ink

U051   Blk

stays constant, and nothing happens at all when pressing and holding the stop button. I held it for 15 seconds this time and nothing happened.

Product Expert

Hi again NavyDDG54,

Generally, if the cartridge is out of ink, this tactic will dismiss the ink level detection and allow you to continue using the printer.  If this doesn't work, then there may be another error with the cartridge.  Under these conditions, the printer will not allow you to continue since it could cause damage to the printer.  

If the ink cartridge was not installed properly (snapped fully into place) and you attempted to print, the loose cartridge might damage the unit.  This is an unlikely scenario, but I wanted to explain why this tactic will not work 100% of the time and the unit will "lock down" during certain errors.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
New Contributor

There is no cartridge in, but I'm not trying to print- just scan.

New Contributor

Hi guys,

I'm having the exact same problem as NavyDDG54, above -- I took my black ink cartridge out to get it refilled, and now I just want to scan some documents -- not using any ink at all! -- but I can't get away from the screen that says "Check ink -- U051 -- Blk." 

Even when I hold down the Stop button for 15 seconds, or 20 seconds, that does absolutely nothing.

Any idea how I can use my scanner when the ink cartridge is empty?!

Thanks.

New Contributor

I had this exact same problem. At first, I pressed the STOP button for various minutes and nothing happened until I actually disconnected the USB cable from my laptop. So, to override the warning, disconnect the USB cable then press the STOP button for about 5 seconds and then it will dissappear. Canon should release a software/firmware update on this.