cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Pixma iP8720 set up.and printed a b&w gray scale on matte paper.

brassman
Enthusiast

Hi. I just set up my new Pixma iP8720 and made an initial print just to see if it worked. From PS Elements I printed a b&w/gray scale photograph on matte paper (not Canon). It looks OK except that there's a cyan tint to it. Is there anything I can do to correct this?

Thanks, Russell

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well, I figured it out. Instead of selecting 'matte paper' in the drop down, I selected 'other photo paper' and unchecked 'gray scale'. I printed a color print and a toned b&w and an untoned b&w and they all came out great. No cyan tints! The untoned b&w print has a nice warm deep black/brown look to it with this paper (Office Depot 61lb matte) which I wanted in the first place. Just to see, I printed the untoned b&w again but with 'matte paper' checked and it lost the b/b tone for a colder neutral look. Both are acceptable. Thanks again.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

merrymary247
Rising Star
Was it a color image that you printed, selecting grayscale in the printer properties, or was the image already in black and white?

Also, have you printed a nozzle check to make sure all colors were present?

Yes, the image was already a b&w photograph (from Tri-X film) and I checked gray scale in printer props. And I did do a nozzel check and alignment before printing. Everything looked OK. Now since I posted - I printed the same photo on a sheet of the Canon paper included in the box -- "Photo Paper Plus Glossy II -- and it DOES NOT have the cyan tint. Looks Great! The paper WITH the cyan tint is Office Depot Matte which I've settled on for the currant project. If I can get rid of the tint I'll be happy. Thanks for responding merrymary. Russell

First off, if the image is already in black and white there is really no reason to select grayscale.

Second, you may continue to get weird results if you use a 3rd party paper. When you select Matte photo paper from the driver settings, the printer is working under the assumption that you're using Canon Matte Paper. Different papers absorb ink differently, so there may be something wonky going on there.

Well, I figured it out. Instead of selecting 'matte paper' in the drop down, I selected 'other photo paper' and unchecked 'gray scale'. I printed a color print and a toned b&w and an untoned b&w and they all came out great. No cyan tints! The untoned b&w print has a nice warm deep black/brown look to it with this paper (Office Depot 61lb matte) which I wanted in the first place. Just to see, I printed the untoned b&w again but with 'matte paper' checked and it lost the b/b tone for a colder neutral look. Both are acceptable. Thanks again.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements