cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need *REAL* driver for ip6000D printer, not the add-on

zoocrewphoto
Contributor

Canon's website, and the people who answer emails insist that the driver is in the windows update. But I can't get it. If I choose "Add a printer" the list jumps from the ip5200D to ip6210D. I have the most current windows update. Perhaps there is something wrong that causes the ip6000D to not be included? Every time  I find a website claiming to have the driver, hitting the download button gets some program designed to tell me how many drivers I need to update and then wants me to buy the program to update the drivers.

I have two of these printers, and my computers knows there are two different ip6000D printers. It shows them in the list of printers to choose from when I click on print. But it won't let me click on properties, and it gives no error when I ask it to print.

I have tried the add-on several times. No luck.

I am using windows vista. I am up to date on windows updates. I have used a lot of canon printers over the years, often with several models at the same time, sometimes printing to 2 or 3 printers at the same  time. I've never had a problem installing a printer before.

1 REPLY 1

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi zoocrewphoto,

The support people who told you that the driver is provided through Windows Update are correct.

Let's try installing the Windows XP driver.   I cannot guarantee this will work, but its worth a try:

1.  Visit Canon's website at:    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer

2.  Type PIXMA iP6000D in the "Enter Your Model Name" box and click GO.

3.  On the Support page for your unit, click the 'Drivers & Software' link in the middle of the page.

4.  Choose Windows XP from the Operating System drop down box.

5.  Click Drivers.

6.  Click on the iP6000D Printer Driver.

7.  If you agree, select the checkbox next to " I have read and agree to the terms of the Disclaimer
        and wish to continue with the downloa
d".

8.  Click the Download button.

9.  Save this file (ip6000dxp180usZ.exe) to your Desktop.

10.  Once saved, close all Windows.

11.  Next, change the "exe" part of the file to "zip" so that the file now reads ip6000dxp180usZ.zip.  If you don't see the "exe" part of the file name, it is because it's hidden.  To show it, follow these steps:

11-1.  Click on Start and then Computer.

11-2.  Press the ALT key on the keyboard.

11-3.  Click on Tools at the top and then Folder Options.

11-4.  Click on the View tab.

11-5.  In the Advanced Settings section, scroll down to "Hide extensions for known file types" and place a checkmark next to it.

11-6.  Click Apply and OK and close all wiindows.  The "exe" part of ip6000dxp180usZ.exe should now appear.  Change it to "zip".

12.  Double click the zip file and the files should extract.  Extract them to a folder on the Desktop.

Now that the files have been extracted, let's try installing the driver:

1.  Click on Start and then Control Panel.

2.  Click on Printers.

3.  Click on Add a Printer at the top.

4.  Choose Add a local printer and click Next.

5.  Choose LPT1 as the port (it's OK, we will change it later) and click Next.

6.  Click the Have Disk button.

7.  Click Browse.  Browse to the folder on the Desktop that contains the files that we just extracted.

8.  Choose the file ip6000d and click Open.

9.  Click OK.

10.  The Canon PIXMA iP6000D should be in the window now.  Click on it and then click Next.

11.  Leave the printer name as it is and click Next.

12.  The driver will install.  Once done, if the Sharing window appear, choose Do Not Share and click Next.

13.  Click Finish.

14.  Connect your PIXMA iP6000D to your computer and turn it on if it already is not.

15.  Right click the PIXMA iP6000D icon in the Printers window and left click on Properties.

16.  Click on the Ports tab.

17.  Select the USB port that the iP6000D is connected to.

18.  Click Apply.

19.  Click on the General tab.

20.  Make sure there is paper in your printer and click the Print Test Page button.

If the test page works, you are all set.

If the test page does not print or you are unable to install the driver, you should recheck to make sure that Windows Update is working properly because the driver has to be installed through Windows Update.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements