cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making my printer work with Windows 10 after upgrade

YourOnlySin
Apprentice
I finally got my Canon ip3500 to print with Windows 10. For background, I had upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 x64 Home Premium. Whenever I went to the "add printers and scanners" section in 'settings' my printer would never be recognized. Here's what I did....

I went to Canon's website and downloaded the printer drivers for Windows 8.1 x64 (I had it in my head that windows 10 was more like windows 8 than windows 7).

Install the driver by running the executable file and making all the confirmations. Plug in and turn on the printer and complete the installation. Nothing more happens here....you've just installed a driver.

Now tell Windows 10 to use the driver....

Go to start menu/settings/devices/printers and scanners and click on the button to add a new printer or scanner

After a brief search and your device isn't found, click on the link "The printer that I want isn't listed"  Then click "add local printer with manual settings"
print1.jpg

In the next dialog box, I chose an existing printer port, USB001 as my printer is connected via usb cable, and click next
print2.jpg

Scroll for Canon in the manufacturer box and now my printer shows up as a possible device! Click next
print3.jpg

In the next dialog box, simply tell Windows to use the driver that is currently installed and click Next
print4.jpg

You get a couple more dialog boxes that ask you to name your printer and another that asks if you want to share it (I just said "no"

And finally, the printer driver is successfully installed! Click finish and verify that you have access to the printer.
print5.jpg

This worked for me but I would like to mention that I am, by no means, an expert and I cannot verify whether this procedure will work with x32 bit or other versions of windows. Regards,

Jim
1 REPLY 1

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

For information regarding this matter, please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements