cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG5420 "error-printing" message (wireless not working)

labs1000
Apprentice

my brand new MG5420 is connected wirelessly (win7/64-bit).  Although printer status indicates "ready", when I hit print, I get "error-printing" message.  I've tried connecting via USB to run the Canon diagnostics, and everything says 'no problem'. I installed this printer today using the disc that came with the printer, then, after experiencing this problem, I visited Canon's website and downloaded & installed the site's current driver, but that did not eliminate this error message. Help!  I must have this 'wireless printer' actually able to work with my laptop. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MarkII
Rising Star

Hi labs1000,

First, select Setup on the HOME screen, then select Device settings > LAN settings > Confirm LAN settings > WLAN setting list.  Does your connection appear as "Active" and do you see an IP address listed in this window?

If everything looks good here, ensure that the printer driver is configured to the proper port on your Windows 7 computer.

1. Log on as a user account with administrator privilege
  2. Select Devices and Printers from the Start menu.
  3. Open the properties of printer driver for the machine by right-clicking the Canon Printer, then selecting Printer Properties.
  4. Click the Ports tab to confirm the port settings.
  5. Make sure that the port is named "CNBJNP_xxxxxxxxxx" (where "xxxxxxxxxx" is the character string generated from the MAC address).

If this didn't work, or if you have any other questions, please feel free to Contact Us!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MarkII
Rising Star

Hi labs1000,

First, select Setup on the HOME screen, then select Device settings > LAN settings > Confirm LAN settings > WLAN setting list.  Does your connection appear as "Active" and do you see an IP address listed in this window?

If everything looks good here, ensure that the printer driver is configured to the proper port on your Windows 7 computer.

3. Open the properties of printer driver for the machine by right-clicking the Canon Printer, then selecting Printer Properties.
  5. Make sure that the port is named "CNBJNP_xxxxxxxxxx" (where "xxxxxxxxxx" is the character string generated from the MAC address).

If this didn't work, or if you have any other questions, please feel free to Contact Us!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I used the field in the Printer Dialogue Box called Printer to get to Printer Properties. Then Under Properties - General there is a blank filed called LOCATION. What information do you put in this box? I read a post that described this issue and he indicated that filling in this field solved the problem.
This problem arose after changing computers. I think it is now a X64 bit machine. I used the same CD to do the install as my old computer and everything went well until I tried printing. First I got "Printer in Error State" then after trying another install "Printer not Responding". I had to cancel test print documents which initially showed as .. Printing in the dialogue box. When I tried a word document, I got "Error printing on Canon MG5400 series printer. The printer couldn't print (file name)". And yes, I did update to the latest drivers and I did reboot the PC before I tried printing.
It appears the Printer prints and the WiFi connection is enabled and active plus the Device Manager says the printer is working properly as well as the Troubleshooter.  Yet... Printer in Error State for some reason. 
@MarkII wrote:

Hi labs1000,

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

HI al1,

It is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

@Patrick wrote:

HI al1,

It is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

My query on this thread related to the LOCATION setting.  In the end I did have to contact Tech Support.

On ‎ 04-06-2017 05:11 PM on another thread called: Canon MG5420 Printer not responding I posted the *actual* solution.   I should have repeated the solution here on this thread for those with the same symptoms. Here's what I said:

Hello everyone, I had changed computers and couldn't get my Canon MG5420 to print. I did nearly everything suggested by the community to get the Canon MG5420 to print. All tests and troubleshooting said it was working but the Printer dialogue box would always say "Printing".... but then after a few seconds.. "Printer not responding". After about 5 reinstalls, I finally called Canon Canada support. This is the number I called: 1 800 OK CANON (1 800 652-2666) 9 AM to 5 PM EST Monday through Friday They took over my machine. Note that I had "Bitdefender" on my new computer and the Tech changed the Firewall settings from public to Home/PC. It worked after that! The whole process took 15 minutes. I should have done it earlier. I'll give Canon Canada ***** stars for this one.

Announcements