cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG3100 not recognizing new ink

Kelsey88
Apprentice

My colored ink was low and everything was printing pink. I bought new ink and replaced it but my printer isn't recognizing that I have new ink and is still printing everything pink as if I hadn't ever changed the ink. I've tried reseting it and turning it off and taking the ink out and putting it back in and I can't get it to work! I have confirmed that there is actually ink in the new cartridge I put in. 

10 REPLIES 10

Ramona
Authority

Hi Kelsey88,

This issue may occur if the ink cartridges are replaced prior to the ink being completely empty.  We recommend only replacing the ink when it shows the ink is completely empty.  If the ink is replaced too soon, it will not register the fact that a new ink has been installed. 

If you happen to have an ink cartridge that is actually empty, you may be able to put it in the printer so it recognizes the empty cartridge and provides the ink cartridge empty warning.  You can then replace it with the new ink cartridge and the printer will determine that it was replaced and provide a full ink level indication again.

If non-Canon genuine ink cartridges are being used in the printer, or if the ink cartridges have been refilled, the printer may not recognize the ink levels properly.  Replacing the ink with Canon genuine ink cartridges may resolve the issue if third-party or refilled Canon ink cartridges have been used.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Ramona,

It was definitely empty enough that it needed to be replaced. Whenever I printed something on my computer, it popped up and told me the ink was low and needed to be replaced. When I tried to print anyway, I could not print anything in color because everything was printing in pink, (as I said in my post) and that made it impossible to read. If it had to be completely empty of every color, that is a definite design flaw with the printer... because it's not acceptable to print everything in pink until the red runs out too.

I replaced the ink with Canon ink so that was also not the problem.

-Kelsey 

I am having the same problems! I read the manual to go to the maintance screen and to choose to continue printing even when low or change the color.... but I went to the maintance screen and I only saw the option to continue printing only on color or only in black. I am not got to pay another 50 bucks to get new ink

Hello.

If the error still persists and new, genuine Canon ink cartridges have been installed, additional troubleshooting may be needed.

Please visit the following link below to contact our support group for additional assistance.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_us_consumer

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

That is just dumb.  I bought new ink as my ink cartridges were low and one of them was not printing.  The new cartridges have ink but the ink has always been noted as low.  Who the hell thought up how this works?  To me this is just a stupid DRM put on paying consumers.  

What the hell Canon!

-disgruntled owner of a canon printer who will just buy a new printer instead of getting more canon ink!

What a disgrace that Canon operates this way. It is such a waste of my time and money. Do they expect we will endorse the product and recommend it to others?

I realise this is an old post that I have come across but as it relates to a recent problem of mine thought I would add to the thread:

This is strange advice given my own recent experience.  While I could print fine (ink level low) when printing from laptop scan, when I tried to print manually (which I have done many times) - sheets just came out blank on both just black and colour. This of course prompted me to change the 'low level' cartridges earlier than I need have done - thereby not using all the ink that was clearly still in them.  The printer then worked fine - despite my having removed them ' early'.

In fact it seems that doing a reset is the answer to this problem.  A one line solution kindly provided by R Hooper.

rhooper
Apprentice
Click and hold the stop/reset button for about 10 seconds. The blinking light and error will stop and you can print again.

Thank you thank you thank you. I had been pressing that button, and finding it did nothign for me. Holding it down for 10 seconds did the trick. I am so grateful!

Announcements