cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a support code error 5100 how can I fix this? we had a paper jam

polrbearfan
Apprentice

I need help with fixing a support code error 5100. I had a paper jam which may have caused this error

7 REPLIES 7

Jenine
Rising Star

Hello Polrbearfan! 

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know what printer and operating system (Windows Vista/7/8 or Mac OS 10.X) you are using. That way, the community will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your product.

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/Canon-Support or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks!

how i could fix it please

fla4ever
Apprentice

I clear jam and turned off printer and disconnected for 30 seconds.  I still have error code?

I have Pixma MX 492 and cannot clear code 5100.  I cleared paper jam, turned off printer and disconnected it.  Error code is still showing up. 

Hi fla4ever,

The 5100 support code is a hardware error indicating the ink cartridge carrier is unable to move freely inside the machine. First check for any obstructions inside the machine. Turn off the printer and unplug the power cable from the back of the printer. Now open the front and remove any paper that you may find here.

Another cause of the 5100 error is if the encoder film has gotten dirty or grease smeared on it. Please click HERE for the steps to clean the encoder strip.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

If this did not resolve your issue, troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issues. Please contact our support group at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666), Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM EST(excluding holidays).

Jerryl49
Apprentice
I have error 5100 on mp460 printer how do I clear the error

Hi Jerryl49,

The error that you are receiving is usually an indication that there may be a foreign object in the printer preventing free movement of the cartridge holder.  Please remove foreign objects so that the print head holder can move:

1.  Press the <Open> button.

2.  After confirming that the printer is powered off, lift the scanning unit (printer cover) until it locks into place.

Caution: If the front cover is opened with the printer powered on, the print head holder may not operate properly, resulting in injury or printer problems.

3.  Remove any orange protective tape or packing material or foreign objects.

4.  Close the scanning unit.

The issue may also be an indication that the ink tanks are not seated correctly.  Try reseating the ink cartridgess and make sure you hear them snap into place.  Additionally, ensure the unit is being plugged directly into the wall outlet.  If the unit is not being plugged directly into the wall outlet it may not be receiving enough power to function properly.

Note:  Sometimes, to clear error messages displayed on the LCD or if the printer is not functioning as expected, it may be necessary to also simultaneously press Stop/Reset and ON/OFF buttons.  With the printer powered on, press and hold down the <Stop/Reset> button then press the ON/OFF button.

If the error persists, the printer will need to be replaced since repair service is no longer provided for this model.

You do qualify for the Canon Upgrade program.This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This program allows you the opportunity to purchase a replacement product discounted from the list price. Free ground shipping is included with your purchase.

If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8 AM to midnight EST. Let them know you have been working with technical support and that the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements