cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a mf8580cdw and am trying to get scanning with email working. No success

IKnowIndigo
Apprentice

I'm trying to scan with my mf8580cdw printer, then email the scan to an email address.  I have the printer connected to my wireless network, and I can print from a computer connected to the network without problems.

Scanning appears to work fine, but when I press send (after the scan) I get a report with the job #, time, and a single word "Error" and then the email address I tried to use.

I'm sure I gave a valid email address, that the printer is on the network, etc.

Not sure what to do to move forward.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

Deborah
Enthusiast

Hi IKnowIndigo,

There are a few possible causes of the error.  Generally speaking, you want to confirm that the network IP Address settings, Send Function Setting Tool activation, and Send-to-Email settings are all configured properly.

Please note that if in an office setting, we recommend that your IT Department/Network Administrator setup your scanning to email feature because we will not know information like your port numbers and so on.

However, whether your laser product is an office setting or setup on a personal network of your own, it is recommended to contact our technical support group to isolate the cause.  At that time, it will be helpful to have initial information such as your operating system and version; if you have an on site e-mail server such as an MS Exchange server or a Domino server; or, if you are using an off-site email server such as Yahoo or Gmail.

Please feel free to contact us and we will be glad to help.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Kerbal
Apprentice

I have this exact printer, on a wifi network (no ethernet or USB connected), behind a home router (Verizon). I use it with Airprint on my iPhones and two Macs.

Here's what I use in System Management Settings:

Network Settings

TCP/IP Settings

Port Number Settings
   SMTP: 587

E-Mail Settings
  SMTP Server Address: smtp.gmail.com
  E-Mail Address: <<myusername>>@gmail.com
  Authentication/Encryption Settings
  Use POP Authentication Before Sending: Off
  Use SMTP Authentication: On
  User Name: <<myusername>>@gmail.com
  Password: Set.
  Use SSL: On
  Confirm Certificate for SMTP Sending: Off

It took me a while to get this, and like the reply you got, Canon was no help at all when I asked them via email.  Good luck!

Has anyone in the forum had success with SMTP.cox.net?  My user has it in her home office and is using Cox as her ISP.  All other functions of the MFP work, but will not scan to email.

Hi Kerbal,

Thanks for this post. I have the same printer and have been trying to setup to work with my gmail account. I tried all the settings as you suggested below, however, I got another problem. When I tried to scan to my own email address, I got an error on the device, then I got an email from google telling me "sign-in attempt blocked!".

When I followed the link on the email to confirm it was me that was trying to access, I had to switch On the feature for my account to be accessed by less secure apps. I switched On and it worked, but it will mean by account will be less secure if I want to use this scan to email feature from my device.

Did you get the same experience since the original post?

Oh My Gosh!!!!! Thank You!!!!!   This was SO helpful.  I got it working now I am so happy!!!  I can not thank you enough. 

This worked...once. Then it went back to the same error message. Would you be able to comment on why that might have occurrred? Any help is appreciated, thank you!

This is really helpfully. And I just want to add final step for gmail. It is to go here to run on "Access for less secure apps"

https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps

Enjoy!

Announcements