cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I print custom DVD labels from Photoshop with my Pixma MG6320?

JamesScottG
Apprentice

How may I print custom DVD labels that I create in Photoshop? I just purchased a Pixma MG6320 printer and can only see three templates as DVD label options. 

12 REPLIES 12

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

Unfortunately, we are not familiar with the DVD label options in Photoshop.  We can only provide assistance with DVD label printing in our Image Garden program.

If you continue to have difficulties in Photoshop, please check the documentation for the program to see what adjustments can be made.

If additional assistance is needed, feel free to call us at 1-800-OKCANON.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have the same printer I just bought. Using Photoshop as well to create custom dvd label and case sleeve inserts. I do not want to use image garden. I need a blank dvd label and case insert templates to use for photoshop to create the art and then use the Canon MG6320 to print directly onto the dvd/cd and use A4 to print case sleeve inserts. But where are the blank templates to do this? Does Canon or IMage Garden provide these? Or, what are the measurements maybe I can creat my own? Help. 

...also, say if i do create my own dvd label using photoshop, i can take that file to print directly onto the disc or is the mg6320 only for use with imagegarden???

eep.

Help!

Thanks. 

blufuze7
Apprentice

I just bought this printer as well. I see that you can start a new disc and it will show up under My Art in the Image Garden. I select the blank theme ( under themes its the 3rd one down on the left). You can then go to your pictures on your computer and drag the image you want up to your new disc label under My Art . Unfortunately I can't find any way to remove the three text boxes that are in the way. If you don't enter any text, then it won't show on the print, but it's annoying none the less. If there was a truly BLANK template, that would be awesome. Not everyone needs a template. Epson's software is better in this area. The rest is fairly easy and the printer walks you through it. Good luck!

I figured out how to do it my own way using whatever means I could. Mostly through trial and error. Canon should make these printers to be more compatible with photoshop. I figured it out for this project but I am dreading the next time I am going to have to start all this over from scratch. lol. I wish Canon would make a template for this for both disc and case inserts that'll make things much easier. 

ANND they should also make Canon paper stock for the casse inserts and for whatever else. Uuuuuugh. 

I was going to ask the same question about printing on CD's. How can they design a printer and not have it compatible

with people who use something as common as Photoshop? First Canon - what the heck are you guys thinking?

Secondly - Do you people at Canon read these questions or inquiries? 

You should have the guys in R&D look at other printers, like Epson and whatnot, there should be easy to get templates from your site, with CD printing templates. NOT using your proprietary Image Garden software crap. What if I want to just print my own text & images on a cd template and place it the way I want it on a cd? Why should I have to use one of your stupid layouts? Most graphic artists and cd designers have way better ideas than the stock layouts, that cannot be changed. Or the dumb text boxes that don't seem to want to be deleted. This is very frustrating. No wonder people go to professional printers for their stuff. 

The disc label print design function is the most limited software I have ever come across in the last ten years. There is no custom function, no way to import your own images and place them where you want them.  I am thinking of taking the unit back to the store where I purchased it. I specifically bought this printer because of its cd printing capability. To not have any way to use a photoshop document to print a cdrom will extremely limit the usefulness and sales of the printer.  

Thanks for the guidance!  This post did the trick for me.  Here are precise instructions for those who need it....

1.  Edit your photoshop image, then save it in a folder.

2.  Open My Image Garden.

3.  Find your photoshop image using the Image garden pane, left side of the window, by CLICKING ON THE FOLDER in which your image resides.  If you don't click on the folder, you won't see your image!  DO NOT use Windows Explorer or any other browser at any point of this tutorial, you can't navigate outside of Image Garden, and you can't drop and drag anything into Image Garden.  Your image(s) should now be visible in the main viewing panel.

4.  Click and drag your photoshop image into the "New Disc Label" under My Art, top left.

5.  Click on "New Disc Label" to open the disk.  You'll see a big blank disk, with your photoshop thumbnail.

6.  Click on "Layout", at bottom of the screen.  Select the template (third down from the top left), it looks all gray with 3 text lines on the bottom half, then hit "ok."

7.  Click and drag your photoshop thumbnail to the main gray body of the dvd template.  Your image should encompass the entire dvd.  Ignore all the "Enter text" they won't show up in printing.

8.  To print, select number of copies, the hit print.  DO NOT open any front printer panels yet.

9.  When you see the prompt to start printing, take out the dvd tray stored beneath your photo paper tray, put your dvd in the holder, then open the front paper tray, then swing the inner cover down until you see the gray arrow.

10.  Insert the dvd holder into the slot until both arrows line up.

11.  Start printing!

I can't post a Photoshop template here, but I can tell you how I made one quickly and easily:

I followed the instructions above from iibw to create a label (used any image as long as it covered the entire CD surface) in My Image Garden. But when I got to step 8, I printed the label to a PDF instead of to the printer, taking care to set the page setup for the "J" CD tray. (If you're trying this, the Mac printer driver has a save-to-PDF option automatically--on a PC you may have to install a PDF printing driver from a third party--cutePDF, bullzip, Primo, etc.). 

I then opened the PDF file in Photoshop (use Media Box, not Bounding Box, in the import dialog) and had a perfectly centered image of my label on a transparent background the size of a CD J tray. I saved this file as a PS doc then edited it, adding guides and deleting the original layer to create a Photoshop CD/DVD template.

When you print your label using the file, be sure Paper Size is set to "Disc Tray J" and Media Type is "Other Papers/Printable Disc (recommended)" which should set the Paper Source to Disc Tray and Quality to High.  (I'm on a Mac, haven't tried it yet on a PC but settings should be similar).

Announcements