cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't add 2nd Win7 PC

woody
Apprentice

I have installed an IP8720 printer and it's connected by wifi.  I am able to print to it without a problem from Win7 PC #1.  I installed the drivers on a 2nd Win7 PC and when I try to print from PC #2, printing starts and a portion of the first page of the document is printed, but the printing never completes.  I can connect to the IP address of the printer and and view the setup and status info from both PC#1 and PC#2.

PC #1 is connected using a wired LAN.  PC #2 connects to the network over wifi.

I am also able to print over the network from an iPhone without a problem.

These are the things that I've tried:

1.  I upgraded the printer firmware to V1.06

2. I have reinitialized the printer and reconnected it to the network.

3.  I have deleted and reinstalled the printer on PC #2 several times.

4.  I have tried updating the driver on PC #2 (it was already up to date).

I can't figure out any other ways to diagnose or fix this problem.  I would appreciate any suggestions about how to proceed.

2 REPLIES 2

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

The issue may be related to a firewall or anti-spyware utility on the computer.  Temporarily disable this software to see if you will be able to print consistently from the second computer.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Okay, I think I figured out the problem.  PC #1 is a wired LAN connection.  PC #2 is a laptop that connects via wifi.  It appears that the wireless connection between the router and printer is adequate, but the wireless connection between PC #2 and the router is not up to par.

When I run internet speed check on PC #2 the speed appears to be very acceptable.  Apparently, that's not good enough to communicate with the printer.  When I moved PC #2 close to the router, printing was successful.

I am very surprised that the protocol that Canon is using between the PC and the router isn't robust enough to deal with a less-than-perfect connection.  After all, this connection is adequate for web browsing, streaming video, downloading files and all other general web functions and those funtions are out in the external world.  I would expect that a device on the LAN would be fine.  Normal internet packet protocols are able to send data much faster than a printer can print.  With TCP, if packets are slow arriving, they can be retransmitted.  I can't imagine any reason that a printer should crap out because the connection is not perfect.

Seems as though Canon needs to work on its wireless software.

Announcements