cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A printer for Windows XP 64 bit.

GGa
Apprentice

Hello, forum.

I have a question for the experts, I hope someone could help me.

I had a very satisfactory printer PIXMA iP4000, with those characteristics that I lke and need:

- colour print, with single cartridges per ink

- real measurement of left ink, and ability to print even if the machine thinks that there was not enough ink (I mean: no compel to buy a new cartridge every X pages printed, like [antother firm]'s printers...)

- print also on CDs and DVDs

... all with a good more-than-emough quality, and working with Windows XP, both 32 and 64 bit.

Now this printer is unfortunately broken down, and I'm afraid that it's not worth trying to repair it (too old).

I would like to replace it, but I'm not able to find a comparable new model.

Some are here:

www.canon.it/For_Home/Product_Finder/Printers/Inkjet/Home-Photo-Printers/index.aspx

Most of them have almost all the requisites (and also a lot of unnecessary* features, like wireless connections, integrated scanner, etc...) but don't work with the 64 bit Windows XP (the system I'm using now). Or, at least, they are not declared compatible in the "features" page. (And, no, it's not because "Microsoft doesn't support XP anymore": they are all declared to be compatible with the 32 bit version of Windows XP).

* (I mean: unnecessary for me)

So, may anyone help me or give a suggestion?

Thanks in advance

GGa

3 REPLIES 3

Bewildered_Bob
Contributor
Hello: based on Canon's lack of support for it's faulty printhead in the iP4000 i suggest trying another manufacturer (like Epson). Bob

Thank you for your interest my problem.

Trying another manufacturer was an idea I already had, but... which one?

Epson is not an option for those reasons:

1) Compels the user to buy a new original and expensive cartridge every X pages printed, even when no ink has been used at all

2) If unused for more than some hours, requires a lot of  time-consuming and ink-consuming "nozzle cleaning" cycles.

Sorry to hear that Epson is not a good choice. While HP offers many printers the carts are v-e-r-y expensive; using an "off brand" saves $ but may cause premature wear of the print mechanism. Plz advise what you decide. Thanx. Bewildered Bob
Announcements