Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

mf733cdw Doesn't detect paper in Document Feeder for Scans! Does for copies - need help!

Title says it all.

When I load paper into the ADF for scanning, I hear the little sound indicating that the paper is there, I go to my computer and initiate a scan, making sure it is set to feeder, and try to scan - then it cant detect that there is paper there!

If I select to scan from glass, no problem!

If I copy sheets using the feeder, no problem!

What the heck is going on?

Reputable Contributor

Re: mf733cdw Doesn't detect paper in Document Feeder for Scans! Does for copies - need help!

[ Edited ]

Rule out problem with the printer or software. 

Have you tried initating ADF scanning from the printer's webserver?  Or from the printers control panel?  Does it detect paper and work when inserted there?

If not, the problem is with the printer, not the software. 

If these work (for scanning), there is probably a conflicting setting in the program you are using for the workflow (word or Acrobat) for example, or between the OS (we don't know if PC or MAC) and printer driver.

Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2 (f/w 1.0.4) ~16-35mm f2.8L II, 50 f1.8 STM, 85 prime USM, 70-200 f2.8L IS II ~70-300 USM II ~Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Art (f/w 2.02)
~Sigma 150-600 C + TC1401 1.4x (f/w 2.00) ~Speedlite 430 EX II ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro nVidia GPU 1803
Product Expert

Re: mf733cdw Doesn't detect paper in Document Feeder for Scans! Does for copies - need help!

Hi lordx.

So that we can best assist you, we will need some more information. Please answer the questions below:

1. Which version of Windows or macOS are you using?

2.  Are you using the MF Scan Utility, or another program to scan the document from the computer?

I look forward to your reply. If you need immediate assistance, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
New Contributor

It is Windows 7 64 bit, and yes, it I am using the MF Scan Utility.

Highlighted
Product Expert

Hi lordx.

Thank you for your reply.

Please uninstall and reinstall and the MF Scan Utility. To uninstall the utility, please open Control Panel > Uninstall a Program. Next, double-click on the program and follow the prompts to uninstall the files. After the uninstall is complete, please restart the computer.

Once the computer is back on, please click this link to download and reinstall the MF Scan Utility:

MF Scan Utility (Windows)

If the issue persists, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.