cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iR-ADV C5235 silent install of Canon Generic Plus PCL6 driver on windows

muzzol
Contributor

hi,

I'm trying to do an unattended installation of PCL driver. it worked on an older version of the driver, but last version is not working with the exact same command:

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /b "PrinterTest1" /x /n "zz" /if /f CNP60MA64.INF /r "IP_192.168.1.102" /m "Canon Generic Plus PCL6"

this is the file list of my old version:

aussdrv.dl_
CanGPX5.up_
CanGPX5.xp_
cnp60403.dl_
cnp605A64.inf
cnp605.cat
cnp60m.dl_
cnp60mui.dl_
cnp615.ch_
cnpxcm32.dl_
cnxdias2.dl_
cnxp0log.dl_
cnxpcf32.dl_
cnxpcp32.dl_
cnxptn32.dl_
cpc10d.ex_
cpc10e.dl_
cpc10q.ex_
cpc10s.dl_
cpc10v.ex_
cpc1CA.ch_
cpc1CA.dl_
DISK1
ucs32p.dl_

and this is the file list of the unpacked PCL6_Driver_V240:

CNP60MA64.INF
cnp60m.cat
gppcl6.cab

obviously the format changed so I need to know how can I perform a silent install with this new version.

8 REPLIES 8

Danny

Hi, muzzol!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon printer model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

currently I'm trying to install a Canon iR-ADV C5235, but I've been using the generic PCL for quite some time with a lot of diferent models without any problems.

In fact I need to upgrade because the option of not using department ID for BW jobs. If it wasn't for that I would keep old version that works ok for unattended installs.

While our Forum Community members are welcome to chime in, Canon does not provide direct support for imageRUNNER series products, but your dealer will be able to help you!

If you don't have a dealer, please visit https://Canon.us/l9jud to locate the names of dealers who are in your area!

Muzzol,

Check this out:

PrinterLogic - Products - Canon Solutions America

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

thanks for your responses, I'll take a look.

anyway this is not related to a single model, I also have some LBP and MF models, so I would like a specific answer:

how can I perform an unattended/silent install of current Generic PCL driver?

OK, as no one is jumping in here I'll give the proper answer in case any other sysadmin faces the same problem.

short answer is: dont' use printui, use vbs scripts for installing drivers.

long answer is that installer changed and you can't use old method (RUNDLL32.EXE PRINTUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry)

instead you need to use cscripts located at C:\Windows\System32\Printing_Admin_Scripts\en-US\

that's only for drivers, not for installing printers/queues.

I'll give an example.

for this driver: GPlus_PCL6_Driver_V240_32_64_00.exe

you need to use unpack it and use the Driver subdir (you don't need the rest)

and then use a command like this (assuming your unpacked subdir is in c:\temp)

cscript "C:\Windows\System32\Printing_Admin_Scripts\en-US\prndrvr.vbs" -a -m "Canon Generic Plus PCL6" -i "C:\temp\Driver\CNP60MA64.INF" -h "C:\temp\Driver" -v 3

now you have the driver installed and you can use printui if you want because driver is already on the system so it doesn't really matter if you use the /u parameter because it will use the one installed.

so you need to do something like this:

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /b "Printer1" /x /n "zz" /if /f "CNP60MA64.INF" /l "C:\temp\Driver" /r "http://cups3.imasmallorca.net:631/printers/CANON_IRADV_c5235i_Informatica" /m "Canon Generic Plus PCL6" /u

if you want you can use vbs scripts for adding/removing printers, is just that I already have all my scripts done for my setup so I keep using them.

take a look here if you prefer to use Prnmngr.vbs : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-R2-and-2012/cc...)

now there's another problem here about configuring default settings.

I won't enter in lot of details here, but it can be done with this commands:

configure settings and then execute this to store them:

rundll32.exe PRINTUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry /Ss /n “Printer1” /a “C:\temp\PrinterConf1.dat”

now install another printer in another machine and use this command to import saved settings:

rundll32.exe PRINTUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry /Sr /n "Printer1" /a “C:\temp\PrinterConf1.dat” /q r p

if you need more info, please don't hesitate to ask me here or reach me at [removed email]

happy configuration!!!

i made an account just to thank you for taking the time to put this information together

silent canon printer installation should not be so difficult

do you happen to have any suggestions for silent installing the scanner drivers/software for a MF printer? i've dug around in the .msi files with Orca, and tried to find silent flags buried in the .exe files, but so far no luck. i never expected so much trouble 😵

hi JR!

thanks for taking your time to write that kind response 🙂

regarding your scanner installer, every packages is different so is hard to help you without the specific installer in hand.

that being said, msi are usually easy to install unnattended. something like:

msiexec /i C:\setup.msi /qn /norestart

should help you 

by the way, for some strange reason admins are blocking my email. if you want to contact me use my username and add the most common domain for mails in the world and you got it.

canon got a strange concept of community: not giving answers, blocking communication between users, relying you to enterprise-only support...

Announcements