cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF8380Cdw Scan-to-email suddenly stopped working - error 806

sluebke1982
Contributor

The old "scan to email suddenly stopped working on a Canon MFP" thread. I need some help!

I work in IT and had this exact same issue occur a few months ago. We bent over backwards to fix it, and eventually discovered that clearing the "domain name" and "host name" fields in the TCP/IP settings resolved the problem. We had tried everything we could think of, read all the articles online, etc.

Now, we are having it again at a different client, same exact issue. Scan to email worked for years, then suddenly it stopped working. We've tried the same fix and everything else, and can't get it resolved. I am out of ideas. I'm re-reading articles and getting nowhere.

Model is Canon 8380cdw. I have not upgrade the firmware b/c I haven't done that before and want to make sure I know what I'm doing so that I don't brick a critcial MFP.

We're using Office 365 direct send, so the MX endpoint address (i.e. contoso-com.mail.protection.outlook.com) with a dummy email address over port 25 and not authentication. This works fine so long as you send within your domain and have your public IP added to your SPF record, which we do. We've tried Gmail, Mailgun, and have confirmed via SMTP testers that we can send messages to the company employees. I've run packet captures during the scan and there is no traffic from the MFP. I highly suspect the scan job isn't even getting outside the machine.

Please, any ideas???

20 REPLIES 20

I am having the same issue.  Has there been any update on this?

We eventually explained to the client that the MFP had malfunctioned and was no longer scanning to email, that it should technically work, but even with the right configuration, it didn't work. I eventually took a spare MFP to the client and configured it the same way and it worked, which pretty much proved to them their current MFP was the problem. We poured 20+ hours into this. I've had lots of scan to email issues with Canon MFPs. In general, scanning requires a lot of support.

msdiem510
Apprentice

I finally got this issue to work tonight and thought I'd post it for all others that are experiencing the same.

1- If you are using GMail, you have to setup an 'App Password' for your Canon to work.

2- Go to Google.com and click on your picture (upper right hand corner) and select 'Manage Your Google Account'.

3- Click on 'Security on the left hand side'.

4- Scroll down to section that says 'Signing in to Google'.

5- Make sure '2-Step Verification' is setup.  If it is not, add 2-step verification now.

6- Click on 'App Passwords' to setup a password for your Canon.  You may have to sign into your Google account again.

7- Under the 'Select App' down arrow, select 'Other (custom)'

8- Enter a name for your Cannon.  I put my model number in the field: MF644Cdw

9- Select the 'Generate' button.  This will generate a password.  Copy/Paste this password or write it down.

10- Find your Cannon's IP Address.  I selected 'Status Monitor' on my Cannon; then selected 'Network Information'; then selected 'IPv4'; take down the numbers listed under 'IP Address'.

11- Open up Chrome and enter the IP Address from step 10.

12- Select 'System Manager Mode' option and select 'Log In'.  If you have setup a 'System Manager ID' and 'System Manager PIN', enter that information and then select 'Log In'.

13- Select 'Settings/Registration' button on the right hand side.

14- Select 'TX Settings' on the left hand side.

15- Select 'E-mail/I-Fax Settings'.

16- Select 'Edit' button on the upper right hand side.

17- SMTP server = smtp.gmail.com

18- Email Address = [enter your email address]

19- Check mark 'Use SMTP Authentication (SMTP AUTH)'

20- User Name = [enter your email address]

21- Check mark 'Set/Change Password'

22- Password = [enter the password generated from step 9 above]

23- Check mark 'Use TLS for SMTP'

24- Check mark 'Verify Certificate'

25- Check mark 'Add CN to Verification Items'

26- Check mark 'Use TLS for POP'

27- Check mark 'Verify Certificate'

28- Check mark 'Add CN to Verification Items'

29- Scroll up to the top of the page and select the 'OK' button to save these settings.

30- Select 'Network Settings' on left hand side.

31- Select 'Port Number Settings'

32- Select 'Edit' button in upper right hand side. 

33- Change 'SMTP' field to = 465

34- Scroll up to the top of the page and select the 'OK' button to save these settings.

35- Select 'To Portal' link in the upper right hand corner.

36- Select 'Address Book' button on right hand side.

37- Click on '01' link and select 'Edit' button.  Add your email as the first email address.

38- SCroll up to the top of the page and select the 'OK' button to save these settings.

39- Go to your Cannon and test the Scan to Email function.

40- Check email to see if you received the email.  If you didn't get email, check 'Status Monitor/Cancel' button under the 'TX Job Log' section for Error Code specifics.

Hope this helps some that are experiencing this error. 

This also resolved Error 839, as well.

It worked for me! Good luck!

Smiley Happy

Thank msdiem510, this worked!

@msdiem510 wrote:

I finally got this issue to work tonight and thought I'd post it for all others that are experiencing the same.

1- If you are using GMail, you have to setup an 'App Password' for your Canon to work.

2- Go to Google.com and click on your picture (upper right hand corner) and select 'Manage Your Google Account'.

3- Click on 'Security on the left hand side'.

4- Scroll down to section that says 'Signing in to Google'.

5- Make sure '2-Step Verification' is setup.  If it is not, add 2-step verification now.

6- Click on 'App Passwords' to setup a password for your Canon.  You may have to sign into your Google account again.

7- Under the 'Select App' down arrow, select 'Other (custom)'

8- Enter a name for your Cannon.  I put my model number in the field: MF644Cdw

9- Select the 'Generate' button.  This will generate a password.  Copy/Paste this password or write it down.

10- Find your Cannon's IP Address.  I selected 'Status Monitor' on my Cannon; then selected 'Network Information'; then selected 'IPv4'; take down the numbers listed under 'IP Address'.

11- Open up Chrome and enter the IP Address from step 10.

12- Select 'System Manager Mode' option and select 'Log In'.  If you have setup a 'System Manager ID' and 'System Manager PIN', enter that information and then select 'Log In'.

13- Select 'Settings/Registration' button on the right hand side.

14- Select 'TX Settings' on the left hand side.

15- Select 'E-mail/I-Fax Settings'.

16- Select 'Edit' button on the upper right hand side.

17- SMTP server = smtp.gmail.com

18- Email Address = [enter your email address]

19- Check mark 'Use SMTP Authentication (SMTP AUTH)'

20- User Name = [enter your email address]

21- Check mark 'Set/Change Password'

22- Password = [enter the password generated from step 9 above]

23- Check mark 'Use TLS for SMTP'

24- Check mark 'Verify Certificate'

25- Check mark 'Add CN to Verification Items'

26- Check mark 'Use TLS for POP'

27- Check mark 'Verify Certificate'

28- Check mark 'Add CN to Verification Items'

29- Scroll up to the top of the page and select the 'OK' button to save these settings.

30- Select 'Network Settings' on left hand side.

31- Select 'Port Number Settings'

32- Select 'Edit' button in upper right hand side. 

33- Change 'SMTP' field to = 465

34- Scroll up to the top of the page and select the 'OK' button to save these settings.

35- Select 'To Portal' link in the upper right hand corner.

36- Select 'Address Book' button on right hand side.

37- Click on '01' link and select 'Edit' button.  Add your email as the first email address.

38- SCroll up to the top of the page and select the 'OK' button to save these settings.

39- Go to your Cannon and test the Scan to Email function.

40- Check email to see if you received the email.  If you didn't get email, check 'Status Monitor/Cancel' button under the 'TX Job Log' section for Error Code specifics.

Hope this helps some that are experiencing this error. 

This also resolved Error 839, as well.

It worked for me! Good luck!

Thanks much for the detailed instructions !!

it works again for me 

Cheers

This unfortunately did not work for me. 😞

AWESOME!!! Thanks a lot mate.

I was about to give it up because it's not a real deal for me, but I decided to research here and booom, a genius had a solution.

again thanks a lot!!! When you pay a liver for something, you really want it fully operational.

rsarvis
Contributor

I'm having this issue too and can't figure it out...

I set a new app password for the printer in Google Accounts, tried different settings as suggested by someone below. Nothing's working...

SimiWi
Apprentice

Hi there, I am having the same issue. Starting beginning of October all of a sudden I get 806 error. I did not change anything. It just happend.

I tried to: Changed the Email account, changed the network, changed the passwords, updated the system. Nothing is working. Please help. 

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello SimiWi,

The error would point to a problem with the security. This could be caused by an incorrect user name/password being used or an update to the security for your email service. We would be happy to assist with the issue. To provide some feedback or some troubleshooting steps, we would need some additional information. If you could reply to this message with the information below, we can provide some assistance. For a more immediate resolution, you can contact support at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to help.

1. What email service are you trying to setup the scanner with?
  2. Are you able to scan to any computers on the network or other devices?
Announcements