cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF445dw SFTP Support

paulfoxrealtor
Apprentice

We use a medical records program that allows scanning directly into the patient chart but the setup directions indicate the printer must support SFTP. It also states that FTP and FTPS are not the same and are not supported by the program.

Canon support told me that Canon printers/scanners do not support SFTP. The same goes for our other printer a Brother DCP-L2550DW, or any Brother printer/scanner.

Should I be surprised that two major printer brands don't support SFTP. Is SFTP a rare, old, new or widely used protocol? I'm not familiar with it.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Stephen

Hello!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know more information.

What is the exact model of the equipment you're using (usually on the top or front of the unit)?
Which Computer Operating System are you using (Windows 7/8/10/11 or macOS 10/11/12)?
How do you connect to your printer (USB or WiFi)?

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.
If you're in the United States and this is an urgent support need, please click HERE to visit your My Canon Account to discover your personalized support options.

If you're outside of the USA, please click HERE to find support options in your country.

Thanks and have a great day!

Stephen,

Thanks for the reply and the tips. It is an ImageClass MF445dw. It connects wirelessly to a Win 10, 64 bit desktop computer. It doesn't appear to be unique to this model printer or to the OS as Canon (and Brother)  support told me no Canon printers/scanners support SFTP. I'm mostly interested in how widespread SFGTP is.

Thanks again,

Paul

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Confirmed that SFTP is completely different than FTPS.  After a quick search, I only see references to SFTP in some Xerox literature.   I don't know if there exists a list somewhere of all printers/scanners that would support SFTP.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Adding to the posts above.  sFTP is not supported.  This is not exclusive to Canon or brother and isn't old, rare, new or widely used.  Its actually common, but not when using a printer. 

I won't go into extensive detail

FTP - Authenticates with username and password

sFTP- Authnticates with username, password and key pair

FTPS - Authenticates with username, password and a certificate

Possible solution:

You will need a computer that can be used as a scan to destination.  That system will need a need a FTP client installed, one that supports the desired protocol.  FileZilla, CuteFTP, WinSCP, etc.  If the FTP client doesn't support key generation, PuTTy does and its free.  

Most FTP clients include a scheduler that can be programmed to connect to a host and upload files and folders from the client to the host.  You could set something like this to run once or twice a day, or more frequently depending on volume.  Its likely however, that some level of scripting or intervention would be needed so that the uploaded data could be saved to a patients individual record.  Paid solutions are likely available, but you probably won't get the level of automation you are looking for with a free solution. 

This is just a starting point.  Hope it helps.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements