cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer sends scanned file to computer, the file is blank. help please

momo45867
Apprentice

Hello friends. My printer, (Canon mf850Cdw) is not scanning properly, for when I scan something and send it to my computer, the file is just blank. I dont know what to do, and I need help please.

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

How are you scanning?

ADF or platten?

How is the scanner connected? and to what?

What OS are you using it with?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

We are using the glass top to scan, the printer is connected to the network, and the computer has windows 7. because we are desperate to scan documents, I took my windows 10 laptop, configured the printer to be wired network, and used a cat 5 wire to connect the printer to the laptop, pusheed the scan button, chose computer, but the printer kept asking to connect the computer. Then, we connected a usb thumb drive, and this time we tried to scan directly to the thumb drive. but we had the same problem, the printer kept asking to connect the thumb drive. So it seems our only option is to connect through the network, but the files are coming up blank. Last time we scanned with succses was 5 days ago. Any ideas of what's going on?

We still can print fine through the network. 

Hi momo45867.

The MF8580Cdw is not designed for ad hoc (direct) Ethernet connections; it requires a router, modem, or network switch to forward the information reliably between itself and the computer.  It does support direct USB connections between itself and the computer.

Scanning to a USB thumb drive is treated differently than scanning to a USB-connected computer.  USB thumb drives need to use USB 1 or 2 standards; USB 3 thumb drives may not be recognized.  Additionally, the format on the thumb drive needs to be FAT16 (up to 2 GB) or FAT32 (up to 32 GB). The space available on the thumb drive may need to be cleared to make room for scanning.

To confirm whether the scanning element itself is problematic, try making a black-and-white copy using both the scanning bed and the document feeder.  Let us know the results of each copy attempt.

Announcements