cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF628Cw burning up surge protectors

Bobmalonetn
Apprentice

I have a MF628Cw printer. The printer has been plugged into a surge protector for about 3 years. The other day that surge protector burned up. I bought a new surge protector and a new wall outlet and replaced both. The second surge protector lasted about 20 minutes and it burned out. My printer works fine until the sp burns out and there is no power. Both protectors have a circuit breaker built in the switch but was not tripped in both. Anything I can do? I am afraid to plug straight into the wall because of fire.

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

The easiest and safest thing to do is test the wall outlet with an ohms meter.  Look for correct voltage and amps.  Older homes usually have a 15amp circuit, while newer ones might have 20.  If one of the prongs has a small horizontal opening where the blade is inserted, this indicates a 20amp circuit.  You still use a standard 2 or 3 prong plug, it just signifies a higher amperage circuit. 

If you don't know how or can't do this, I'd call an electrician.  If the printer is faulty, you don't want to damage the wiring in your home.  While fire is unlikely, I wouldn't guess and would rather be sure.

If the wiring checks out, its probably time for a new printer.  If the power supply is built in, cost of repair will be high. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Stephen

Hi, Bobmalonetn,

Please unplug the unit and contact our Technical Support team right away so that we may review your experience. Representatives are available Monday - Friday, 10:00am - 6:30pm, Eastern. We look forward to assisting you. Our team is at 1-800-652-2666.

hindya876
Apprentice

If you will use best surge protector then this will not  happened. I am using printer, screen and my PS4 at one surge protector. It is working fine.

Announcements