cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New out of the box MF452dw can't scan over network

Jcostantino
Apprentice

I can print to it and scan to an email just fine. I have been messing with it for an hour trying to get the network scanning to work. I've tried to reload drivers and shut off all three firewalls in Windows Defender on my laptop. The issue persists.

Two laptops, one with win10 and the other with win11, both act the same. Running MF Scan, I can click a preset and it will open the status window (behind the main window? really...) and after a while, it will get error 255.0.0. At one point I was able to use ScanGear directly and it would pull a document in from the ADF and stay at 0% complete until error. Now it says error 155.0.0, cannot communicate with the scanner. Neither laptop has ever had any canon drivers on it, the last printer was a dearly departed Xerox.

I will say that the only thing worse than Canon's documentation is their management page for the printer. I really had to dig deep to figure out where to change the SMTP port. Most of the documentation just says "do the thing" if you try to look up details on how to do something. Unhelpful.

2 REPLIES 2

lepa71
Apprentice

Have you tried to assign a static IP to your printer or make static IP reserved for your printer? I always do the 2nd one.

Jcostantino
Apprentice

I ended up changing the printer name which requires reinstalling the print driver, which made me think I should check the scanner and it is working now. 

It set up on wifi, I changed it to wired, and didn't realize that canon scans from the mac address of the printer. I find that weird but I guess it makes sense. I noticed two scanners and two Mac addresses and it clicked in my head. 

Also for some reason the management interface is not slow like it was on wifi or even after moving it to wired. I don't know, new printer gremlins I guess. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements