cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW IMAGECLASS MF273DW connects to network but my devices cannot see it

ctucker33
Contributor

I have a new MF273DW printer that can successfully connect to my network, but my devices cannot see/find it to print.  I am running windows11 (but even my iPhone gets a connection error when trying to send a print message to it) and here is what I have tried so far:

• confirmed printer is successfully connected to same network as the devices
  • tried autodetecting printer from computer
  • manually by IP address
  • installed updated drivers
  • restored factory settings on printer

I am at a loss as to how to get this printer connected to a device.  All devices are using the same network that the printer is connected to.  This should not be this difficult.

Note, it will work (obviously) if I have a wired connection to it, but will not if I try and use the wireless setting.

29 REPLIES 29

Gotcha.   I downloaded all the drivers fine.  Once I removed McAfee, I was unable to download ANTHING.  Do you know of a way to tell your computer to use windows security as a scan device for downloading documents?   I couldn’t figure out a way and it continued to try and use McAfee, even though I removed the program.  

dexman335
Rising Star
Rising Star

This is getting into an area that I haven't had much experience with. Check here: Settings->Apps->Default Apps. Look for Microsoft Defender. See if it is set as the default. Also look for McAfee. There may be more to remove.

I will sometimes do a clean install of Windows if either of my computers get bogged down. It is a fairly simple procedure (but well outside the scope of this forum) but you'd have to reload apps & desired software.

I would Google something along the lines of "how do I make Windows Defender my default antivirus software) and look for instructions. 🙂

Ok thanks. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The behavior you describe sounds odd.  Anti-virus software is not mandatory or required for Windows or Mac OS. 

What browser are you using?  If Chrome, open settings, 3 dots in the upper right-hand corner and select extensions form the context menu.  Do you see a McAfee Browser extension installed? 

If you are using Edge, there is a puzzle piece looking icon in the menu bar (right-side) that when clicked displays manage extensions.  What extensions if any are you running?  If you don't see any of these let us know. 

Do you have only one PC, is there another system you can test ping from?

If no other system is able to ping the printer at its IP, we will look more closely at your network hardware / configuration next. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

So the behavior I was describing was on another laptop and another situation.  I was afraid if I removed my McAfee, the same thing would happen to this computer.  I haven't tried to uninstall McAfee on this computer.

I use Chrome as a browser (and had on the other laptop with the McAfee problem described above).  There are no McAfee extensions on it.  BTW, is the best way to uninstall it and remove all components via the uninstall app?  I heard it doesn't get rid of it all by simply uninstalling it.

So here is what I know and have done recently:

• This computer (the one I cannot get to see my printer) is not able to ping the printer.
  • This is what happens when I try to ping it (the printer IP is 192.168.1.20)  Why am I pinging .20 but the response is from .249.  My computer is .249...so I got a reply from computer that sent the ping?:
  • Pinging 192.168.1.20 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.1.249: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.20:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

• My phone cannot ping my printer but can see it when trying to AirPrint but has a connection error and cannot print.
  • My work laptop CAN ping my printer and can add it as a new printer, but I cannot print anything (but that may be a work software restriction).  It says the printer is always offline.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The best way to uninstall a program is to Open Control Panel > Program and Features.  Find the software you wish to remove and right-click (select) uninstall.   Some legitimate versions of McAfee and others which are not can be more ornery and require a tool or that you run a series of commands from a command line.  

Previously you said the printers and computers IP's were: 

What is the IP address of the printer? 192.168.1.21

What is the IP address of the computer? 192.168.1.249

Above however, you indicated 192.168.1.20 (printer) & 192.168.1.249 as the address resolving DNS.  Is that a typo, is the IP changing?  I think we are closing in. 

Let's clarify things.  Who is the ISP.  What is the model of the hardware you are using? 

Please open a command prompt.  At the arrow, type >ipconfig /all          then press enter

Please paste the output.

Next run this command >tracert -4 www.google.com      

I just need the first 4 lines of the reply.  It will look something like this:

C:\Users\itadmin>tracert -4 www.google.com 

Tracing route to www.google.com  [142.251.46.164]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 9 ms 10 ms 9 ms ZenWiFi_XT9-EE50 [192.168.1.1]
2 23 ms 21 ms 20 ms 96.X.X.237
3 21 ms 26 ms 17 ms po-301-1245-[removed].157]
4 18 ms 18 ms 23 ms po-100-x[removed]3]

Thanks

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi SS,

So we are Air BnBing over the next few weeks while we move so I am not 100% sure who the provider and hardware is in this house.  My house (that we sold) was Xfinity and Google Home and I had the same problem.  And I should mention we are moving to a new Air BnB today so the ip's will change again...sorry.

Good catch.  That was a typo.  The IP of the printer was/is .20.

The output from the ipconfig/all:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Tuckers
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : localdomain

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 6C-3C-8C-FA-7D-3A
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 1:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 76-97-79-BE-7C-35

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 7A-97-79-BE-7C-35
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : localdomain
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8852BE WiFi 6 802.11ax PCIe Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 74-97-79-BE-7C-35
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::bb03:65:1ce8:9041%18(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.249(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, June 1, 2024 7:14:04 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, June 6, 2024 6:11:53 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 309630841
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-2C-27-04-35-6C-3C-8C-FA-7D-3A
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 74-97-79-BE-7C-36

The output from the tracer:

C:\Users\ctuck>tracert -4 www.google.com

Tracing route to www.google.com [142.250.217.68]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 2 ms unifi.localdomain [192.168.1.1]
2 12 ms 12 ms 10 ms 96.120.100.77
3 15 ms 11 ms 11 ms po-302-1245-rur201.bellevue.wa.seattle.comcast.net [96.110.249.125]
4 11 ms 10 ms 12 ms po-2-rur202.bellevue.wa.seattle.comcast.net [69.139.160.42]

You're on a Unifi Guest network. The host likely has device isolation turned on, which means your devices can't see each other. (I have one of these systems at home - they're very advanced)
https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000166827-UniFi-Hotspot-Portal-and-Guest-WiFi 

dexman335
Rising Star
Rising Star

A quick side question (forgive me if this was asked or answered earlier on)....is/was a static IP address assigned to the printer in any of the computers or routers? 🤔

ctucker33
Contributor

It hasn't changed so maybe.  Again, I don't have access to the router software to assign the ip but it is continuously .20 after repeated attempt to power down and up.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements